Any - Cleaning car interiors - Billsboy

After years of using my wife's cast off upright vacuum cleaners to clean the car interior, the time has come to invest in a new vacuum spefically for the purpose,

The current upright has a nozzle which is too short to properly clean areas such as between the seats and the interior door sills and as well as showing its age, it is awkward to move around the drive outside each car door using the hose to reach the necessary areas.

I have looked at various hand held cleaners from the cheaper makes to Dyson but it is hard to assess which would best serve the purpose.

Is there any make that readers have found ideal for the task and would a cordless be a good idea?

Any tips would be useful.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Happy Blue!

You need a cylinder machine on wheels with a long hose and a flat, narrow crevice tool. Hard wired has far more suck.

My long experience of vacuuming cars is that a stiff brush used at the same time as the vacuum, releases far more dust and dirt. The best is a plastic, short bristled, floor brush without the handle.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Gibbo_Wirral

Yeah, hand held devices just don't have the power. I generally comandeer the household vac when a new one is bought, assuming you have the driveway and power to run a mains cleaner.

Or, have a look on Ebay for a second hand vac. Do a local search so you can collect.

If you're want to wet clean the carpets or upholstery, I can highly recommend this from Tesco:

www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250393...8

Any - Cleaning car interiors - corax

I have a handheld mains operated Black and Decker. It comes with crevice tool and flexible hose amongst other accessories. Bit like this one -

www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decker-VH780-Vacuum-230/dp/...0

You can get everywhere with it and it's powerful. The only drawback is that the bag is small so you have to empty it frequently, but it really is a useful little vac.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - skidpan

We are on our 2nd Mielle cylinder vac now. The first lasted 10 years which is a record. With 3 pets in the house we need one that gets hairs off the furniture and carpets and the cleverly named Mielle Cat and Dog does exactly what it says on the box. It works great in the car as well with a long pipe and good tools.

Bags can be expensive but get the genuine ones off E-Bay and save a fortune over Currys etc.

So good M & D bought one.

Whatever you do don't buy a Dyson. Heavy, noisy, unreliable and the 13 year old girls up the street have more suck (allegedly).

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Andrew-T

You need a cylinder machine on wheels with a long hose and a flat, narrow crevice tool. Hard wired has far more suck.

My long experience of vacuuming cars is that a stiff brush used at the same time as the vacuum, releases far more dust and dirt. The best is a plastic, short bristled, floor brush without the handle.

Spot on, HB, on all counts. No vacuum cleaner can do enough to shift sand and dust from a car carpet without manual help from a scrubbing brush.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Bobbin Threadbare

I use a Henry. The tube splits up into shorter sections and they are really powerful vacuums.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Cyd

Henry !

Sound little fellow.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - oldtoffee

Like corax I have a B and D mains powered handheld. It is easily powerful enough and has all the tools. When you switch it on the torque of the motor makes the unit twist in your hand, a bit like my dad's Rover 3500 many moons ago when you blipped the throttle.

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Avant

The new B & D Dustbuster Flexi has the advantage of being rechargeable and also designed so that you hold the machine in one hand and the short hose in the other. Very good for the carpets when you've taken the mats out; but for the mats themselves which get most of the ingrained dust, our upright household SEBO does a better job - as does a stiff brush as recommended above by Happy Blue.

Fitted mats are something I wouldn't be without. Most of my recent cars have had them as standard, but if they aren't, it's something to bring up at the last minute, as a salesman should be willing to throw them in to get a deal.

Edited by Avant on 15/05/2014 at 00:10

Any - Cleaning car interiors - Gibbo_Wirral

Good point about the fitted mats. I've usually gone for some generic carpet or rubber mats but the muck just spills beyond them, so have invested in some tailor made to fit ones for my car (ironically cheaper from Peuegot dealers than on Ebay!)

And they fit the entire footwell, so they can just be taken out and hoovered in the house rather than taking the hoover to the car.