Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - Will Rose

Our car is just over 2 months old having bought from new. At times it will not go into reverse gear, baulks. Difference between in gear and not is so slight it often results in grating. Has anyone else noticed this. We had a 2009 1.2 litre from new and that was fine

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - jc2

Take it back to the dealer!

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - Graham567

My mothers 62 plate Fiesta does this sometimes and after speaking to the dealer he said it was because Fiestas don't have syncromesh on the reverse gear and sometimes when its not lined up it won't go into reverse.You just put it back into neutral,let the clutch out and then push the clutch back in and you'll find it goes in.Don't know if the dealer is taking BS but the above method does work.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - Peter.N.

It should still go in most times, I would suspect that the clutch is not disengaging properly.

It's a NEW car!!! Straight back to the dealer and don't be fobbed off! My new Fiesta works perfectly and has from day 1.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - Andrew-T

Take it back to the dealer!

I agree, that is the first thing to do. But most cars usually find reverse more easily when they are rolling ever so slightly - does that help? Dipping the clutch once usually works too. Dealer may say it will ride up with wear .... to use the well-worn phrase.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - Will Rose

Our car is just over 2 months old having bought from new. At times it will not go into reverse gear, baulks. Difference between in gear and not is so slight it often results in grating. Has anyone else noticed this. We had a 2009 1.2 litre from new and that was fine

I took our fiesta back to main dealer for complementary three month check. Discussed problem and was told it is a known problem with this particular gearbox. I cannot remeber the gearbox code. As I have only done 1900 miles it is still early to take further. At least it is logged in their records. Strangely I have not had any further problems.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - mfarrow
Most small-engined 5-speed Fords use the iB5 gearbox, uses the same arrangement as Fords have since the 1970s just with a different selection mechanism these days. No synchromesh on reverse.

Bigger engine cars have MT75 gearbox, which has synchromesh on reverse.

Two particular uses will cause it to crunch:

- selecting reverse whilst moving.
- (possibly) dropping clutch quickly and selecting reverse in quick succession.

Pedant mode-MT75 is RWD.MTX75 is FWD.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - calista

Hello

I have had similar issues, as well as the car actually jumping out of gear while reversing. I have had adjustments and lubrication that did not work, and then the clutch and slave cylinder was replaced as abnormal clutch wear found. Selection is easier but still jumps out of gear, and since clutch replaced reverse gear sometimes does not engage when gear stick pulled as far as it will go, car does not move back and there is a quite grinding noise.

I am told I need to wait 4 to 5 seconds after moving forward, before selecting reverse gear. Surely that is nonsense?

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - galileo

I am told I need to wait 4 to 5 seconds after moving forward, before selecting reverse gear. Surely that is nonsense?

No, if the gears are still spinning from forward motion then trying to engage reverse will cause a crunching noise as turning gears try to engage. A few seconds delay allows gear oil drag to stop everything and allow quiet engagement.

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - calista

No, if the gears are still spinning from forward motion then trying to engage reverse will cause a crunching noise as turning gears try to engage. A few seconds delay allows gear oil drag to stop everything and allow quiet engagement.

So I have to stop car, wait 4-5 seconds before I select reverse, then put it into car? Not sure thats very progressive with a modern car!

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - galileo

So I have to stop car, wait 4-5 seconds before I select reverse, then put it into car? Not sure thats very progressive with a modern car!

Please yourself, its your gearteeth you'll knock lumps off. What's the desperate hurry to get into reverse once you've stopped?

Ford Fiesta 1.0 litre - Reverse gear difficulty in selecting - Wolfan

It's simple, don't disengage the forward gear until the car has stopped, keep clutch depressed and select reverse if there are no faults with the clutch then reverse will engage quietly. In the days when cars had no synchromesh on first or reverse to engage first quickly without crunching we always selected second or at least pulled the gear lever against the second gear synchro and then went into first. Those whose Jaguars had Moss gearboxes and could drive properly learnt this and had no problems.