daf leyland 45 - my Daf leyland 45 won't star s reg 1998 - sadsadsad

i have a daf leyland 45 and it wont start as of recent. it has been parked up since september 2013 with the occassional start now and then to keep engine running. its a cummins turbo engine. batteries went flat and i put them on charge and easily started it and let engine run for a while . batteries went again as they were old. discovered that one of the terminals was broken and rusty old which inturn damaged terminals of the recharged battery, so bought another battery but seems did not have much power. brought batteries with power and there was some kind of spark when i connectd battiries but i had replaced damaged positive terminal. i discovered batteries had charged but there was an irritating buzzing as a result but leyland would not start. power is there but wont kick at all. anyone with an idea as to what might be the problem. thanks in advance.

kind regards

Edited by sadsadsad on 29/04/2014 at 00:59

daf leyland 45 - my Daf leyland 45 won't star s reg 1998 - Peter.N.

You didn't inadvertantly connect the battery up back to front did you? Assuming not, if you had a large spark when connecting I suspect your alternator is faulty which maybe why they ere going flat.

Is the engine turning over fast enough, you need a bit of speed to start a diesel, if its turning slowly it could be that the battery capacity is not high enough, you need something around 70-100ah for a diesel.

Does your engine use a fully mechanical injection pump or is it electronically controlled?

Edited by Peter.N. on 29/04/2014 at 12:48

initially one of the terminals which connects the negative and positive terminals of the two batteries was damaged so i replaced it as the big spark was damaging (melting terminals) of battery. but there was a spark as indicated hence i checked again on the satrter motor as there no cranking and discovered the earth terminal that connects to starter motor was loose and not connected. righrt now if i connect batteries there is no spark but there is indication power is there as buzzing sound is so irritating. horn is working but leyland worn crank at all. but will try batteries as you are suggesting. will be on it morning. its fully mechanical injection pump.

daf leyland 45 - my Daf leyland 45 won't star s reg 1998 - Peter.N.

Check that the energising voltage is reaching the starter by connecting a wire to the battery+ terminal and just touching it on the small terminal of the starter, if the motor is OK and there is battery voltage reaching it, it should turn.

just realised that the small terminal chord (solunoid!) had actuall loosened or totaly detatched on the side of the starter. im made to understand it needs soldering. problem now is there the starter is held by 3 small bolts which are not budging at all cause of rust. have tried spraying DW40 and could not untighten them. any idea how i can sort this please.