Which small used car <£5000? - Hologram

Hi All,

Long time reader, really helpful forum.

I'm currently looking to buy my second car after passing my test a couple of years ago. Currently own a 1.6 (90bhp) TDCI 2005 focus but the clutch is on its way out and I think I'd like something a bit smaller (I'm one of those strange men that isn't mad-keen on massive cars).

I'm not much of a driver as live in the city and mostly get public transport to work so probably only do between 5-7000 miles a year, but half of them are probably motorway miles (but fairly short trips <100miles), otherwise supermarket job/sunday driving. I'd like a car to last at least 3 years.

For my money, the cars I've been looking at are:

1) Mazda2 (2008+) 1.3 petrol ts2 80 or 1.4D 70, typically 50k miles

2) VW Polo Mk4 (2006-2008) Mk 4 1.4 80 typically 60-80k miles

3) VW Golf Mk5 (2006+) (haven't considered engine types/sizes - would appreciate opinions), typically 80k+ miles.

Appreciate that the Mazda2 is probably a dash smaller, less powerful that their VW equivalents but quite a fan of them, and they share their platform with Fiestas.

I've test driven a 1.2 60 polo and I loved it, but have to admit it felt a smidge underpowered.

I'd really like a Golf but the thing that puts me off about them is that the ones in my price range are typically high-mileage. I don't think VW's reputation for manufacturing bullet proof cars is what it once was.

I haven't suggested fiestas as there's v few of the newer models for sale around my way (NE England). There's plenty of Mk5s (The ones that look like a small Focus) but I just hate the look of them. The newer ones tho look great.

The newer Seat Ibizas look tasty, but again seems v few for sale around my way.

Would value your opinions on the above choices, or anything you think I've missed.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Hologram on 26/04/2014 at 14:38

Which small used car <£5000? - retgwte

hyundai i20

and suzuki swift

are both good

or pay a bit more and have a brand new dacia sandero

Edited by retgwte on 26/04/2014 at 14:42

hyundai i20

and suzuki swift

are both good

or pay a bit more and have a brand new dacia sandero

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've looked at those from afar (but not actually got around to testing them).

I don't mind the looks of the i20, but not such a fan of the Swift. Have to admit this is a bit vain of me but am in my 30s so looking for something with a dash more style than the Swift.

Yes, I keep reading about the Dacia. I've only seen these in pictures online. From what I've read the entry-level model is a bit underspecced and I'm really not looking to spend any more than 5.5k absolute max unfortunately.

Thanks! :)

Which small used car <£5000? - retgwte

swift and i20 are both first rate

swift has fantastic handling

remember hyundia's all come with 5 years makers guarantee so if you get one with full hyundai service history you can get a second hand one still with lots of guarantee to run

Which small used car <£5000? - jgrahampo

What about an MX5

Reasonably practical, fun and economic to run too

Golf is an odd one for you to suggest if you want smaller than he focus.

Unfortunate thing is bigger cars will be better value at this price range.

Twingo 1.6gt

Edited by jgrahampo on 26/04/2014 at 16:55

What about an MX5

Reasonably practical, fun and economic to run too

Golf is an odd one for you to suggest if you want smaller than he focus.

Unfortunate thing is bigger cars will be better value at this price range.

Twingo 1.6gt

Hiya,

Never been taken by the MX5 - probably because I live up North and I could probably use the soft-top for about one slightly sunny afternoon per year. :)

Yeah Golf is a bit bigger, but one of those cars I've always swooned a bit over. Do you think it's an unreasonable proposition to get a semi-decent one under 5k?

Never even considered Renault. The majority of ppl I speak to seem so anti-french when it comes to cars that I don't think I could take the flak if I bought one. Seen a couple of dodgy reviews too so always sticks in the back of my mind. Wouldn't mind a Citroen DS3 but they're waaaaaay out of my price range.

Tried one of the newer spec Corsa D's the other week too - instantly regretted that.

Which of the bigger cars do you think typically offer the best value around <5k?

Thanks!

Edited by Hologram on 26/04/2014 at 17:30

Which small used car <£5000? - jgrahampo

Golf at £5k will be overated VW as far as I am concerned are living of past glory and clever marketing.

Big Cars well Volvo V60, Audi A6 an old 5 series there is a large choice. At your price do not be set on one model/brand better to go on condition and history from a choice of a few. Old Lexus. Toyota there is a lot to consider.

But you wanted a smaller car hence my suggestion of the Twingo. A £5k fairly new Twingo/Clio is likely to be more reliable than an older Golf.

I must admit I have a secret yearning for a twingo Cup!

Re MX5 I am in SW Scotland had a Mk3 2.0 sport for a couple of years no problem in this climate and great fun and cheap to run .

Or get your Focus a new clutch and run it some more?

Which small used car <£5000? - Bobbin Threadbare

Re MX5 I am in SW Scotland had a Mk3 2.0 sport for a couple of years no problem in this climate and great fun and cheap to run .

Same experience here - I live on the Lancs/Cumbria border (you can't say it doesn't rain a lot here!) but I use my MX5 foldy roof quite a lot, even in winter, with the heaters on. Cracking to drive, cheap to run and I've been commuting in it for nearly 2 years now.

On another note, my mum has recently swapped her Aygo for a Mazda 2 and it is definitely not underpowered! Great little car with a fun drive.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 27/04/2014 at 18:00

Which small used car <£5000? - Avant

The first thing to say is - don't go for a diesel. They cost more and can go expensively wrong at higher mileages. For your budget petrol power makes much more sense.

If you don't want a Fiesta (which would seem the obvious choice as there are lots to choose from and they're good to drive) then a Mazda 2 makes sense, but there may not be many of these around.

I'd suggest the Toyota Yaris 1.3: the 1.0 is underpowered but the 1.3 is quite lively, very reliable and not nearly as boring to drive as the road testers make out. There should be plenty in your price range.

Which small used car <£5000? - galileo

I'd suggest the Toyota Yaris 1.3: the 1.0 is underpowered but the 1.3 is quite lively, very reliable and not nearly as boring to drive as the road testers make out. There should be plenty in your price range.

I'd second that advice, SWMBO has had two 1.3 Yaris's, both bought second hand from local Toyota dealer and (touch wood!) both required only routine servicing and tyres.

Economical, surprisingly capacious and quick.

Which small used car <£5000? - gordonbennet

I'll third the Yaris, but consider the rare 1.8 SR version fitted with the current Avensis engine, that should be a lovely effortless swift driver.