Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - Cluedo

I was just looking at the possibility of purchsing a new Subura and noticed that they specifically detail what is contained within the 5 year warranty which caused me come concern because surley if it was a full warranty then it would ocver everything.

If it is limited to just the powertrain then is this the same as Hyundai and Kia and Toyota.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - RobJP

No manufacturer covers everything on a car for 5 years. It's pretty easy to burn out a clutch, for example. DPFs are also generally not covered, along with plenty of other components.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - gordonbennet

Thats interesting and quite disappointing, two obvious ones missing from the engine area are sump and exhaust manifolds, a sadly short list more suited to an aftermarket warranty...and i wonder if this is insurance backed by the importer and not a full normal Subaru warranty.

As far as i'm aware warranties for the other makes you mention are more or less bumper to bumper with things like audio systems and batteries having shorter cover, then there's the thorny issue of shock absorbers which VW don't cover, i know not about the others.

Obviously no one covers consumables or friction materials.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - skidpan

If it is limited to just the powertrain then is this the same as Hyundai and Kia and Toyota.

No idea about Toyota but the Hyundai and Kia warranties cover everthing except the usual excluded consumable items, to quote the Kia site

"Some items have a natural limited life/durability and are therefore covered for less than 7 years. These items include (but are not restricted to) consumable parts such as worn windscreen wiper blades, clutch linings, etc. The vehicle battery is warranted for a period of 2 years. The audio/ navigation system is warranted for 3 years/60,000 miles and vehicle paint is warranted for 5 years/100,000 miles.

For all other components, the total cost of parts and labour associated with any warranty claim are covered."

But.

I was told that when the Kia 7 year warranty was first introduced on the Ceed in 2007 it only covered the powertrain in years 6 and 7. When the 7 year warranty was introduced on all models in 2010 it became comprehensive.

Edited by skidpan on 23/04/2014 at 15:57

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - Oli rag

Buying a Subaru, I think I'd be quite relaxed about the warranty as you're very unlikely to need to claim on it.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - gordonbennet

Buying a Subaru, I think I'd be quite relaxed about the warranty as you're very unlikely to need to claim on it.

indeed so why make such a list in the first place.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - RT

I was just looking at the possibility of purchsing a new Subura and noticed that they specifically detail what is contained within the 5 year warranty which caused me come concern because surley if it was a full warranty then it would ocver everything.

The Hyundai/Kia warranties don't just cover the powertrain (that's in America) - they cover the whole car but various wear/tear items have their shorter time/mileage limit defined - those limits are more generous than most other manufacturers - they all put limitations on wear/tear items which isn't unreasonable.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - madf

Subaru had a batch of crankshaft failures and DMF failures on early diesels... The crankshaft failures were not just a one off...

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - groaver

I quite like Subaru but the importer doesn't half charge for them!

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - madf

<2,000 new cars sold per year.

Parts and service backup must be problematic at those levels..

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - Falkirk Bairn

<2,000 new cars sold per year.

If you take from the 2,000 the importer's own use(internal use, demo cars for press etc etc) + Dealer demo cars (say 5 x cars per outlet x 40 ish dealers)

That means they sold maybe 1,700 new cars to buyers!

Surely a very worrying number re the future of the brand in the UK or at least the IMGroup as importer.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - daveyK_UK
Time for the likes of subaru, and Daihatsu to take over their own importing or find a new importer.

Which importer did Perodua use or did they do it themselves?

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - alan1302
Time for the likes of subaru, and Daihatsu to take over their own importing or find a new importer. Which importer did Perodua use or did they do it themselves?

Daihatsu pulled out of Europe a few years ago.

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - daveyK_UK

I know, but there is talk of recommencing imports to the UK with a new model on the way

Subaru Forester - 5 year warranty - daveyjp
One of those cars I would like one day. I had a good test drive in an Outback diesel a few years ago, but the interior wasn't the best and it put me off. The new one is much better, but they are expensive and I no longer need a diesel.

The new Impreza hatch has caught my eye and I'll be having a drive in the 1.6 petrol.