Vauxhall Corsa B - 03 1.2 16v Corsa - Clunk in steering - Aeropars

Hi All,

The wife has a 1.2 corsa 03 plate and for a while now it has had this fault. It has passed its MOT with no comments/advice on future works.

When stationary, if you rock the wheel back and forth you can hear the clunking. The sound comes up the steering column and osunds as though something is slightly loose. The same sound can be heard while going over speed bumps. I also noticed that there was a slight vibration which was intermittent when driving at high speeds and the clunky noise was apart during this vibration albeit, not as loud as when swinging the wheel back and forth. (its not the same type of vibration as wheel ballancing).

I'm not that proficient on mechanical stuff but can happily do simple mechanics and car servicing. I've asked a garage about this and they said possible anti-roll bar links however I would have expected these to be picke dup on the MOT.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

All help apreciated.

Vauxhall Corsa B - 03 1.2 16v Corsa - Clunk in steering - The-Mechanic

Are you sure it's a Corsa B ?

On an 03 plate it'd expect it to be a C as the B was from 1994 to 2000.

Anyways, I'd firstly be checking the pinch bolts on the steering column as they had a tendency to work loose. The bolt is a TORX headed one and if memory serves, it's T10 size but don't hold me to that. You may need to remove the under-dash panel from around the pedals if it has one to clearly access the column and on the U/J's you'll see the bolts. Give them a tighten and see if that cures it.

Vauxhall Corsa B - 03 1.2 16v Corsa - Clunk in steering - Aeropars

My bad. It is a Corsa C.

I've got a good selection of Torx so thats not a problem.

Had a quick google and aparently I dont need to remove any of the dash. Its visable down by the pedals. I'll have a go this evening and report back.

Thanks for the response.