Parking Near University - Ben 10

I find this totally wrong. But can it be instigated.

My daughter says that the Uni she attends has an agreement with the local council to take responsibility for students parking in the surrounding areas off campus.

Apparently, if a student parks in a road nearby, and "someone" proves they are attending the Uni, the Uni has the right to ticket or clamp the parked vehicle.

I say that if there are no restrictions in force or is a CPZ then as she has valid car tax, she has the right to park wherever she pleases, and that if she is given a fine or clamp that its not paid and taken to court.

Does the Uni have the right to do this?

Parking Near University - bathtub tom

I'd suggest it's just rumour to deter the students parking.

DVLA have the power to clamp untaxed vehicles and I believe bailiffs can for debts, but AFAIK that's all that can on public roads.

Parking Near University - daveyjp
If the Uni is in England, Wales or Scotland and the uni clamp the police will be interested as it is now a criminal offence.

If the Uni place an invoice on the windscreen it is not enforceable.

If the residents have a problem they should get a residents scheme sorted out, because as you state without any parking restrictions anyone can park on the street.

Edited by daveyjp on 19/04/2014 at 17:47

Parking Near University - Bromptonaut

My first port of call would be the Uni website to see if there's anything there. Failing that daughter should speak to Uni admin and ask for details of the policy and a written explanation. Most likely its a chinese whisper that's got legs but then .....

Clamping on private land is illegal since October 2012 or thereabouts. The Council on the other hand probably does have a power to clamp under the order providing for Civil Enforcement in its area. Most Councils sought/obtained clamping powers when obtaining such an order even though they stated they had no immediate intention of using it.

I'm just slightly concerned that, if there is a CPA/CPZ there might be something delegating powers to the Uni. I'd expect it to involve permits though and a provision that they would not be issued to students.

Parking Near University - SlidingPillar

Students with cars and parking is the sort of thing I'd expect to find on the university's website. Certainly true for the one I went to.

Many of them try very hard to discourage car use among students as most simply do not have enough parking. My tatty bicycle did for me!

What SP says is certainly true around my Daughter's Uni in Sheffield. If a significant number of students have/use cars they clog up streets surrounding Halls, lecture campuses and the areas of town where student lets predominate. Some zip back and forth to lectures, others are hardly used at all and just sit in the street gathering grime.

Student cars then inevitably become a cause of friction with local residents. CPZs and permit schemes to ration space are one possibiity but are an imposition on the non student majority.

Another would be terms in students hall contracts or their contracts of admission to the Uni that restrict cars being kept on ite or in nearby streets. Quite how the Council get involved (unless there is a CPZ) other than via resident's complaints I'm not sure.

Unil the OP comes back though it's difficult to offer anything conclusive.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 22/04/2014 at 20:18

Parking Near University - Bobbin Threadbare

I find this totally wrong. But can it be instigated.

My daughter says that the Uni she attends has an agreement with the local council to take responsibility for students parking in the surrounding areas off campus.

Apparently, if a student parks in a road nearby, and "someone" proves they are attending the Uni, the Uni has the right to ticket or clamp the parked vehicle.

I say that if there are no restrictions in force or is a CPZ then as she has valid car tax, she has the right to park wherever she pleases, and that if she is given a fine or clamp that its not paid and taken to court.

Does the Uni have the right to do this?

Ha does she go to Lancaster Uni by any chance?! This sounds very similar to what happens there! I don't think they have the right if you're taxed and not illegally parked.

Ha does she go to Lancaster Uni by any chance?! This sounds very similar to what happens there! I don't think they have the right if you're taxed and not illegally parked.

But Lancaster is a campus University. Why do students need to clog up streets with cars?

Parking Near University - Bobbin Threadbare

Parking on campus is very tightly controlled with permits etc, and there aren't enough spaces. Due to the change in demographic over the past 10 years of the students, many more have cars now. Also, when I was a postgrad, I wasn't allowed a permit because I wasn't technically staff and I wasn't an undergraduate. So if I had to drive in, I parked on the outskirts!

Did OP get any further with inquiries?