Yaris 2002 - Fishing out a dropped bulb in rear cluster - mikem004

Changing the rear brake bulb today, the bulb dropped down into the innards of the brake cluster.

Tried to fish it out using a magnetic pickup tool, but the bulbs aren't magnetic!

Any ideas before I dismantle the whole cluster?

Yaris 2002 - Fishing out a dropped bulb in rear cluster - gordonbennet

Isn't it blinking annoying when that happens, i did exactly the same with my daughters 04 Civic, the neighbours leaned some new phrases.

Its the one thing i don't like about certain Japanese cars, those odd large capless bulbs.

I could not get the thing out no matter, went to my garage to get the necessary tools to remove the cluster and quick as aflash daughter had get her nimble little pincers in there and the bulb was out.

Suggest you search carefully for a nubile young lady with long slender fingers, i'm sure SWMBO will understand..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/04/2014 at 16:54

Yaris 2002 - Fishing out a dropped bulb in rear cluster - 659FBE

Use a slim garden cane with a blob of Blutack or chewing gum on the end - as available.

Yaris 2002 - Fishing out a dropped bulb in rear cluster - mikem004
6 inch length of insulation tape.
Wrap tightly round a thin screwdriver, leaving half an inch dangling at the bottom.

First time, the bulb was hooked and came out.
Yaris 2002 - Fishing out a dropped bulb in rear cluster - Chris M

I have a flexible grabber in the tool kit:

www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-277860-Flexible-Pick-T...r

Very useful for retreaving nut, bolts, sockets etc. when they drop down the back of the engine or, as happened last weekend, I dropped the sump plug and it rolled down the hole in my oil drainer/can.