Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Oldsinjun
Thinking of buying a Merc 220/270 Auto. Estate Diesel or a BMW 320d/330d Auto Touring. Used if possible.

In the motoring Telegraph on Saturday the BMW 320d was regarded as superior to the Merc 220 diesel on a number of counts.

Anyone have an opinion on which is the best auto diesel ?

Thanks for your help.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Mikek
Oldinjun - Have driven all 4 models.
You dont mention price, economy or space as being prime factors.
Thus, regarding diesel and automatics, here are my views : -

C220 felt underpowered mated to auto box in estate version.
320d auto was nice - and surprised me.
C270 is v.nice with plenty of power/torque.
330d auto - sublime - Everything else faded into the distance.

Current car is a C280.
My next car will be a 330d (or 530d).

Hope that helps.

Mikek.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - DavidHM
Out of those, and given that cost is a prime consideration, I'd go for a 320d ES Touring auto, which is £23k new, including three years' free servicing. www.drivethedeal.com has them with about £1,000 off, which will hold its value pretty well, and there is a definite financial case to be made for it - despite my earlier post. There's nothing wrong with the Merc, but it'll be about £2k more for the equivalent model (plus the servicing) and that#s difficult to justify unless you need the extra space.

This is mainly because of the servicing offer, but also because the diesel premium is unusually small on the 3 series, and the diesels hold their value particularly well compared to the premium. For that money, you might (if you can find one) get a 330d Touring auto on an 01Y with about 40k, but you'd be looking for a long time.

For a C270 or 330d, you're looking at the high 20s even if you don't spec the car up.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Pugugly {P}
Guess what ! - BM of course. As stated a sublime drive, but prepare to be hated.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Marcus
I believe that HJ stated that the auto option on the BMW drastically increased fuel consumption.

If it was my money I would consider the BMW and buy the Merc - but can't really give a rational explanation why.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - davo
Is the new ES version a genuine good deal or a way of offloading stock? They are doing 5.4% APR which looks attractive for a car as well and makes it under £300 per month, do you think the residuals will hold up in time?
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - DavidHM
I see it as a way of squeezing out imports and therefore keeping residuals strong. It certainly won't do worse than a base 318i, but is cheaper and better spec'd. Six cylinder ones need to be loaded to hold their value - and the ES doesn't have the long options list - but then that costs more in the first place.

Sure, the 3 series isn't in its first flush of youth, but it'll be around for another few years, but both the engines in the ES were new or updated at the facelift in late 2001 and I can't see any major changes to the car until they replace it in 3 years or so.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Dude - {P}
I think Mikek has given a clear summary of the options available. I looked into the C220d and 320d estates, and concluded that the BMW was not only the better performing and handling vehicle, but was also better built. It would appear that M. Benz is now being run by accountants, as the build quality is nowhere near that of the old W124`s, which were nigh bomb proof. I know of several people with new C class models,(which I believe are now being built in S. Africa), that are plagued with electrical faults, which is not acceptable on vehicles priced well in excess of 20k. Needless to say I bought a 320dSE Touring (manual), with which I am delighted.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Oldsinjun
Thanks a lot for the valuable advice.
Diesel Automatic - Merc or BMW ? - Alfafan {P}
Oldsinjun,
Let us know your final decision.