infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - Happy Blue!

I'm not talking Electric Handbrakes, but little things, individual to specific models that you might only find out after a decent test drive.

Example: I am currently overseas and driving a very nice, rented Hyundai i35. It's a saloon based upon the i30. I have two complaints. Firstly the centre air vents are too low and freeze your hands before they cool your face. Secondly, the headlights do not turn off when the ignition is turned off. You have to turn the lights off manually. But the dash goes dark first, so the lights can get left on.

Would either of these stop me buying the car? I think the air vent issue would. Which is a pity as the rest of the car is great and has high profile tyres so the ride is compliant.

Edited by Avant on 17/04/2014 at 23:51

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - daveyjp
I went in a colleague's Kia Rio, last version which is an odious car. Made worse by the fact the indicator stalk is on the right hand side of the column.

I thought this stopped about 30 years ago.
infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - daveyK_UK

Davey

Its actually the right side from a driving safety perspective.

I much preferred it.

The Toyota avensis lost out on a new 14 plate sale when a colluege was horrified to find on a test drive it had an electronic handbrake.

He had gone as far as agreeing PX price, setting up finance, etc.

The dealer finally managed to get the avensis out which was blocked in by another vehicle for the test drive, the test drive didn't take long when the handbrake was discovered

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - artill

About a year ago i went for a test drive in the newly launched Peugeot 208 Gti. Its quite laid back for a Hot Hatch, but that suited me. Infact the only drawback is the dark tinted rear windows. So i asked if they would be able to order one with normal glass fitted to the cheaper versions. It didnt seem too much to ask, afterall these things all come down the smae production line. But no, its drug dealer glass or no GTi. I chose the second option

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - Avant

Quite right, Happy Blue: things like this can seem trivial but if they're going to annoy you every time you drive the car, they're not so trivial after all.

Things like:

- wipers set up for LHD (Mercedes B-class and BMW 5-series - to be fair I think both have now had this remedied)

- nowhere to put a spare wheel even if you specify one as an extra (all Minis except the Roadster)

- seat height adjustment requiring you to move your bottom (BMW 3-series)

- a boot that can be opened only with the plipper (a brand new Vauxhall Astra I hired last month)

Plus of course the unnecessary electronic handbrake - it seems that no manufacturer who fits them has the imagination to offer a proper handbrake as a no-cost option.

(PS - posted from USA at 9.45 pm - I'm not an insomniac!)

Edited by Avant on 16/04/2014 at 04:47

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - NARU

I can't think of much which would prevent me buyign a car.

Conversely, a little feature which might encourage me is the ability to switch the face vents from cold air to hot.

I had this on my BMW, and it was wonderful - hot in the winter, cold in the summer or on a long drive.

I'm about to move house and have an hour's drive to work. I'm tempted to switch to a Mondeo, simply to get the heated windscreen.

One thing that all car makers should be doing by now is proving a range of USB charging points around the car. Using an adapter in the cigar lighter leads to wires everywhere. I'm thinking a couple on the dash top (sat nav, speed detector or camera), one in glove box (mp3 player), etc.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - RickyBoy
I'm with you all the way regarding Ford's heated windscreen! An absolutely marvellous feature.

Wife's NHS-leased Zetec Fiesta had one and I actually used to look forward to de-icing her motor before she pootled off to work last winter (12/13). Hardly used it this winter of course and now she's early-retired too it's no longer with us, but if/when we ever come to chop in the Polo I'll certainly be considering another Fiesta, based on that feature alone.
infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - gordonbennet

Having driven far too many miles in real boneshaker old lorries, things like vents make not the slightest odds to a vehicle to me. Fresh air? open the window.

There are lots of reasons i won't buy a car, nearly all of them revolve around a competent driving experience and avoiding unecessary complication, especially when its of no benefit whatsoever, hence my loathing of the electric parking brake and the latest hash ups of semi auto type gearboxes, which still can't cope with traffic or close hard manoeuvering (even in lorries, Volvo excepted).

I can't abide engines that stall the moment you ask for useable torque at low revs (leading to clutch abuse), too infuriating to ever be considered, and not the sole preserve of the smallest capacities either, Aygo engine is a delight in this respect lugs right down to stall speed without the slightest hiccup making it the perfect small city engine IMO.

Dislike intently the trend to ever more horizontal windscreens with ever thicker A pillars, ensuring massive blind spots, then to put the icing on the cake they glue a huge mirror right to the middle of the windcsreen, that helps a lot.

Don't get me started on the fashion for massive rising rear waistlines with port hole back windows, WHY? i see new Aygo has gone this way in order presumably to outdo Ka/Fiesta abominations, another fine little car sacrificed on the fashion altar.

Some cars are just 'right' to drive, they do exactly what you want of them at all revs, driven in all conditions, and at all speeds, these cars i can forgive many foibles for the sheer pleasure and lazy ease with which they do the job i want, yet still manage to look good and maintain all round visibility.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/04/2014 at 09:06

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - galileo

For flexibility, all round visibility and simple, reliable small car economy my daughter's 1.0 3-cylinder Daihatsu Charade ticks all the boxes, she wishes Daihatsu still imported to the UK. She reckons 3 1/2 hours for the 200 mile trip to visit her sister, so not slow!

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a car - KB80

I'm the same, I bought my recent ford partly based on the heated windscreen feature. It definitely served me well during the winter 12/13 although hasn't been used too often this past year

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - RichT54

On most cars you can adjust the amount of air coming out of the dashboard air vents, but for some reason Honda don't allow this for the two centre vents (on the Accord and CR-V at least). Unless it's a very hot day I don't like air blowing in my face or hands, so the only solution was to direct the vents upwards as far as possible, so they blew air at the ceiling.

Another quirk on the CR-V was that every time you turned on the ignition, a tedious "safety" message was displayed on the main sat-nav/media screen and if you didn't acknowledge it within so many seconds the screen would go completely blank. Even more annoying, there was a delay of several seconds between the time that the message first appeared and the time that you could press the OK button. Presumably this was to give you time to read the message each and everytime you drove the car!

I am still finding the electronic parking brake on my new A3 a bit awkward. Most times it releases fine when I lift the clutch and apply the accelerator. But occasionally after the car has been parked, it doesn't release and a message appears on the dash saying I need to press the foot brake? I've not yet worked out what sequence of events causes this to happen, or why it's neccessary. The main justification for these devices is that it provides more space in the centre console. This certainly doesn't result in extra storage space on the A3 as there is only enough room under the armrest for my phone and very little else!

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - RickyBoy
... but other than that RichT54 - are you enjoying your Sportback generally/no regrets, etc.?

RB
... but other than that RichT54 - are you enjoying your Sportback generally/no regrets, etc.? RB

Absolutely RB! I'm really impressed with the engine, very smooth and responsive. The cylinder on demand function is completely undetectable - if it didn't say "2 cylinder mode" on the dash you would never know it was doing it. I'm rather surprised how much it stays in 2 cylinder mode, but when you put your foot down the acceleration is instantaneous.

I've not done too many miles yet, but on a couple of longer trips I got 48 mpg, although the overall average is around 42 so far.

The interior is a very pleasant place to be and I've managed to get a more comfortable seating position than I ever had in the CR-V. I'm looking forward to driving it a bit more now that I have taken early retirement, just hope I'll be able to afford to run it on my pension!

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - RickyBoy
That's very good to hear/know RichT54. May your enjoyment long continue!

Having paid my deposit I've purposely tried to forget about it until mid-Aug (I deferred for a '64-plate) but living in MK, and not far from the VW UK HQ, can't fail to spot a good number on the road.

Give us a 'flash' (although I believe it's illegal to do so?) if you spot a Dakota Grey one in early Sept :-)
infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - craig-pd130

My current Volvo V60 has been a lovely car, so much so that I'm getting a new one when the current contract hire expires in June.

The electric handbrake has been faultless, although I always release it manually using the switch, I never use the "raise the clutch and it will release itself" feature. Which is probably the EPB equivalent of pushing the button on a manual handbrake so the ratchet doesn't click :)

However, it does have one really, REALLY annoying feature, which still irritates me occasionally. The manual gearbox versions have no clutch footrest, which is ridiculous in a full-size car. Considering the Swedes are so concerned about ergnomics, it's a glaring oversight.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Snakey

The lack of a clutch footrest put me off Ford focii, plus the fact that my knee seems to bang against the central console! I'm not particularly tall (6ft) but it was noticeable on a test run!

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - skidpan

When we changed the wifes car last time we had virtually settled on a Skoda Octavia Estate, that was until we drove one.

It ticked all the boxes and there were some cracking VAT free offers and low finance deals.

But it fell apart in 3 ways.

The road noise was absolutely horrendous on the first we tried (15" wheels). Tried another (this time on 16" wheels) and whilst better it was still very noisy.

It had a huge boot but no spare wheel. That involved buying not only the spare but a raised boot floor kit which reduced the usable space to less than our C-Max.

And to top it all the lever that adjusted the steering wheel was carefully positioned to scrape on the wifes knee everytime she used the clutch pedal. Salesman suggested buying the DSG version.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Engineer Andy

The lack of a clutch footrest put me off Ford focii, plus the fact that my knee seems to bang against the central console! I'm not particularly tall (6ft) but it was noticeable on a test run!

The same lack of a clutch pedal footrest put me off buying a 3dr Honda Civic (2001-5 version). For me, being comfortable whilst driving is a show-stopper. In all other respects, it was a very nice little car, better looking than my (still very good) mkI Mazda3 saloon.

Of course, the fact that it would also have (at the time) cost me £3k more for essentially the same as I got in the Mazda (plus a much bigger boot and auto A/C) did also help. In many ways, I wished it had got the foot rest, as my Mazda is a bit too big for me. The similarly-sized SEAT Leon SC is what I'm after without the Audi/VW price tag. Just a shame the Japanese/Koreans don't make something similar that's stylish as well as dependable.

The other thing I don't like is that so many luxury marques think that luxury=racing tyres=hard ride. NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! PLEASE give the option of using tyres with a reasonable sidewall that (with decent suspension that is not also as hard as the Flintones' car) gives a good ride (for more than 6 months) and doesn't have to be replace every 10k miles at a cost of £250 a corner!

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Mike H

Secondly, the headlights do not turn off when the ignition is turned off. You have to turn the lights off manually.

You're obviously younger than some of us here. All cars were like that at one time, and most of us did it as a matter of course!

And re the vents, if they blow cold air while the footwell supplies warm air, think yourself lucky, many cars don't have a choice... :-)

Edited by Mike H on 16/04/2014 at 16:24

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - wrangler_rover

15 months ago when my company car was due for renewal, I decided on a Prius Plug in (5% benefits in kind is a big incentive.) Great until I had one for a 3 day test drive. Couldn't get on with driving an automatic, hated the floor mounted parking brake and considered the car to be gutless.

After being stitched up by my local ford dealer in 1990, I will never drive a ford by choice as I wish to never have to deal with that dealership again, despite really liking the heated front screens on fords. I guess this is a case of me cutting off my nose to spite my face.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Smileyman

considering manufacturers want to sell their wares, it's surprising at some of the packages out there .. I'm sure they are pushing what they want us to buy, not what the buyer wants to purchase (if they think differently, ask me first)

For example, Nissan have dropped sun roofs, they no longer offer warm feet / cool face set ups, they force you to take stupid oversized tyres if you select anything above basic models, sell pots of tyre glue instead of spare tyres and so forth. Others are no better.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - corax

they no longer offer warm feet / cool face set ups,

Glad to see that other people find this useful. Sadly there aren't many cars that have this any more. Strange as the human body hasn't suddenly changed in the last twenty years, and I still feel the need for some warmth on the feet and a cool face to keep awake on a long journey. Definately a step backwards, along with the lack of a comfortable ride.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - veryoldbear

In my previous existence I used to hire a lot of cars. Arrived at foreign airport, rent a wagon and drive off. At least you used to be able to. Nowadays you are b*** lucky if you can get the thing started. The days of key in ignition and turn it seem to have gone. Even if you get started you pull out onto the evil one-way system that all airports have and you stall. Oh no, you haven't stalled, it's the b*** stop / start system and you're stuck in the middle of the road as the transit bus honks at you .... grrrrr.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - jamie745

I tried a Jaguar X-Type once. Nice car, but I couldn't understand why the brake pedal is about 4 foot higher than the accelerator.

This is not the case in my S-Type.

Spanners.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Armitage Shanks {p}

I had exactly this, years ago, with a hired BMW! Walked about 1/2 a mile to the car park and then didn't know what to do with the plastic/metal fob, Thought maybe a key came out of it - NO. Finally found the hole in the dash that it went into. Stop/start caught me out in traffic too! Newer BMWs have a button on the dash to turn it off which is good.

I think Ford put heated windscreens into everything they build these days. I had one in a poverty spec KA and a I have one in a 7 year old Focus

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Sofa Spud

Starter button (unless it's a classic car that had one when it was new)

Burglar alarm (should be called burglar false-alarm, and very annoying to others)

Automatic parking brake (one day they'll be the norm, but we're not there yet)

Fussy styling (too many manufacturers are trying too hard to make their cars look distinctive rather than pretty)

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - corax

Fussy styling (too many manufacturers are trying too hard to make their cars look distinctive rather than pretty)

Well Sofa Spud, if they are doing that, they are failing spectacularly, because everything looks the same to me nowadays.

I always preferred the angular look, but we won't ever see that again because cars have to be pedestrian friendly, although that to me is a strange description because a ton and a half of fast moving metal is never going to be friendly to a human being whatever it's shape - it's like saying a Herefordshire bull without the horns is pedestrian friendly.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Sofa Spud

I like the modern smooth shapes of cars, but the stylists go and spoil them with fussy and irrational detailing like on the side of the new Mercedes A-Class or on the BMW Z4, for example. We've seen this sort of thing before, like on the Triumph TR7, or going back further, the Austin A30 and A35.

but the stylists go and spoil them with fussy and irrational detailing

Totally agree with this. The so called "Flame Surfacing" applied to the original 1-series made it look like the middle of the car was sagging downwards.

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Armitage Shanks {p}

I Blame Bangle! I wonder what he is doing now?

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - bathtub tom

I went to look at a brand new Beetle back in the late '60s/early '70s. A Beetle GT - old SWB body with a 1600cc engine. I'd decided 99% to buy one without seeing one.

I'm six foot and couldn't get it into third. With my foot pressing the clutch, my left knee was wedged under the steering wheel just where the gearlever neede to be!

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - Trilogy

Leather upholstery...............especially black. That will rule out a Jaguar etc for me. :(

infuriating foibles that would stop you buying a c - kerbed enthusiasm

Black cars. I've had two, both Fords: one was unreliable and the other was achingly uncomfortable. They were also both horrendous to keep clean. Conversely, I really like white cars. They can be 'spot washed' and any sign of rust is easy to see and address. Whilst I'm on a rant, I'm also not keen on silver/grey cars that camouflage themselves into the road surface. I'm a fussy Old Hector...