Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - Willers

Hi,

I looking to spend 5K on a second hand Mazda MX-5.

Does any one have any advice on what to buy/not buy.

Any problems I should know about.

Are there any motoring clubs that could help with this car.

Finally does any one know of a good dealer that sells these cars.

Thanks in advance.

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - Bobbin Threadbare

I did this almost 2 years ago, and it's the best car I have ever had. £5k should get you something about 6-7 years old.

No issues on my part. Keep an eye for rusty wheel arches on pre-2005 models. Check the roof carefully - walk away from mouldy bits but you can easily clean the edges if it looks a little green. Also check its mechanism is still smooth and for any tears or rips; tiny ones can be repaired but bigger ones look very ugly. Check the alloys (I'd say this about any car though) have been treated kindly. MX-5s use special coolant so service history could be important. I bought one with full dealer service history and I carried that on.

I went for one with an option pack, the Icon, so it's got heated leather seats and climate control. I also have the luggage rack on the back of mine.I don't worry about high mileage either; if the car has been treated nicely then you could get a bargain by looking for something with 60-80k on the clock (mine had 62k on it when I got it and now I'm up to 80k). I commute in mine! I got it from an independent dealer by looking on Autotrader for it.

A truly wonderful little car to look at and to drive. Possibly not if you're over about 6ft though!

There are owners' clubs for them which are very popular and a google search throws up lots.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 10/04/2014 at 14:56

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - martint123

I bought a 10 year old one and ran it for 10 more years with few problems. H reg MK1.

Check for rust on early ones around the lip of the rear wings at the top. At the seam of three sill panels just to the rear of the doors.

In my 10 years, I bought a pair of recon rear calipers due to seized handbrake mech. All four road springs (bottom turn cracked off). Discs and pads. O ring seal for cam sensor. Bigest item was a clutch kit that I replaced myself.

MX5 owners club www.mx5oc.co.uk/

MX5 Parts www.mx5parts.co.uk/ OEM and pattern parts, blazing fast delivery.

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - Avant

I looked at MX-5s a few years ago (and was tempted but went for a Z3 instead). I seem to remember that the cambelt had to be changed at 54,000 miles - I don't know why that should stick in the memory, and you'd need to check that that's correct.

Bobbin probably knows the answer.

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - bathtub tom

It's a non-interference engine, so not critical.

The cambelt had just been done on mine prior to my purchase, according to the service records, which makes sense if I picked it up at around 60k miles.

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - NARU

If you can stretch to an NC (2006 oneards) they have a chain cam engine (from a Ford focus!).

I decided to pay the extra for the retracting hard top version - I sometimes have to park in some dodgy areas. If you go for one, fit a smart top module (google will tell you about them).

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - Snakey

If you're buying a 2000-2005 model then get the engine undertray off and check out the chassis mounting rails on both sides - they rot terribly and they're not easy to see like the wheelarches!

Check out the mx5 owners forums for more details - I wish I had before buying mine as the rot was well advanced on mine, although ironically not as bad as on some newer ones that owners had posted pictures of!

Apart from that - cracking little car and always fun to drive! Check for oil leaks at the back of the engine as theres a part there (CAS?) that leaks but its just a replacement gasket so not a massive issue.

Mine's a 57 plate so can't say about the previous model, but believe me, the undertray is a b***** to remove and get back on!

To provide an alternative viewpoint on roof material, I have a fabric roof which is very quick and easy to use and I have parked it in some dodgy parts of Liverpool - nobody touched it. However, I have a burgeoning phobia of inconsiderate drivers who lob a lit fag end out of their vehicle in case it lands on the roof!!

Mazda MX-5 - Buying a second hand Mazda MX-5 - Wackyracer

One thing I would add is to have a good look at the chassis rails under the floors, A friend of mine used to buy and sell MX5's and I saw alot with squashed up box sections from cars going over speed humps a bit quick.

I really liked them and they are an ideal, cheap, fun car.