Ford C-MAX - Diesel injector fault - tedrog
My 1.6 diesel C Max broke down yesterday - the AA diagnostic showed up code P1262 cylinder 2 side short. They could not help further and recovered it to my home.
The car is now at the local dealership being diagnosed.
It is out of warranty by about 4 months, has done under 19000 miles.
Any idea what the fault/remedy is and whether I might qualify for a goodwill discount on the repair?
Ford C-MAX - Diesel injector fault - the_bandit

Regarding goodwill, what history do you have with Ford? Always serviced at Ford? Bought the car from Ford? If no then probably no chance otherwise it would be worthwhile trying.

What age is the car to be out of warranty with only 19,000miles? This car is seriously under used (diesel engines are designed to put the miles in!!) and those low miles will spell more problems soon enough.

Thanks for the reply.

As to underuse, the car is just over three years old. Those three years have included several spells of hospital stays (cancer and hip replacement) not that I need to apologise for not using the car often enough. But would this really cause a leak from injector seal as seems to be the problem?
Ford C-MAX - Diesel injector fault - the_bandit

Maybe it has contributed, I don't know.

What I do know is that 6,000miles per year for a diesel engine is not what it was designed for and will likely lead to problems.

You need the petrol engine.

Ford C-MAX - Diesel injector fault - Snakey

Surely this is a case where Ford would consider a goodwill gesture?

Low mileage and just out of warranty - its hardly like you're taking the mickey asking for some help.

Ford C-MAX - Diesel injector fault - craig-pd130
Thanks for the reply. As to underuse, the car is just over three years old. But would this really cause a leak from injector seal as seems to be the problem?

As you're just out of warranty time-wise, but with low mileage, I think it's well worth going to Ford UK's customer services directly with your case (don't go via the dealer) PROVIDING you've got a full Ford service history at the specified time intervals.

If you don't have the Ford FSH, you'd be wasting time.

If you do, emphasise that:

- diesel injectors are not a service item (unlike, say, spark plugs which are replaced at intervals) so the seal should not need attention and should not leak (if this is the diagnosed fault)

- the car has low mileage and is only 4 months out of warranty

- you believe that this component, which should reasonably last the life of the car, should not have failed at such an early stage, inconveniencing you

- based on the above you expect Ford to contribute to the cost of repair

Using this type of argument, I got my in-laws a free main wiring loom on their Focus after 3.5 years of ownership from new, when the car was being plagued by random electrical problems and a loom problem was diagnosed.

Be firm but polite, stick to your guns, and deal direct with Ford UK yourself, NOT via the dealer.

Thanks for this extremely helpful reply.