best tow car for a caravan - wolrab

what is the best tow car that will pull my sprite musketeer Td 2013 MTPLM 1264Kg1400kg

I pull with a Saab 9.3 but is getting old any helpful ideas

best tow car for a caravan - Avant

I'm not a caravan expert but I believe that the Skoda Superb often wins towcar competitions.

many thanks for your suggestion

best tow car for a caravan - Collos25

I believe the bigger Volvos are the best tow cars available according to the caravan club,

best tow car for a caravan - 659FBE

The problem with the transverse-engined Volvos is a really dreadful steering lock. The huge turning circle makes manoevering a large trailer (especially in reverse) a frustrating experience. I have found that all Volvos now suffer from impaired build quality (Ford influence) and unreasonable maintenance costs (parts and labour) due to lack of competition. Even the engine oil for the diesels is expensive.

The old Superb tows very well with a 1.9 PD diesel engine (never buy the 2.0) and its nose-heavy design and long wheelbase add to both traction and stability without incurring the (very seldom needed) inefficiencies of twin axle drive. I have found the price of service parts to be surprisingly low - genuine Mann & Hummel filters, Castrol oil etc. available cheaply online. Being a VAG clone, there's loads of choice - and plenty of good Independents for labour.

Edited by 659FBE on 01/04/2014 at 15:41

best tow car for a caravan - the_bandit

Mercedes G Wagon. Preferably the G63 model.

No doubt this car will tow anything but what a price tag not practical for everyday commute!

best tow car for a caravan - oldtoffee

Hyundai Santa Fes and Kia Sorrentos are quite popular with the towing fraternity. The previous model Sorrento has a massive towing capacity.

best tow car for a caravan - drd63
I thought Top Gear covered this topic a year or two ago. Mazda CX5 or VW Tiguan if memory serves?
best tow car for a caravan - drd63
I thought Top Gear covered this topic a year or two ago. Mazda CX5 or VW Tiguan if memory serves?
best tow car for a caravan - unthrottled

Oh well, Volvo FH16 tractor unit if we're going to play that game.

best tow car for a caravan - mark999
Skoda Octavia or Superb are excellent tow cars. If you have a large family the T4 Caravelle is worth a look.
Mark.