Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - lovelyrum

Hi all,

I posted in 2012 asking for advice on buying something to replace my C220cdi Blue Ef. In the end I opted for a Freelander 2 which I have fallen in love with (despite battery issues) but recent job changes have left me needing a 2nd car.

My job has changed and I've gone from a 3 mile commute to needing to do 800-1000+ miles a week. Hotels are out of the question as destination varies but it is always 90% motorway. I do get my fuel paid so it isn't too much of an issue.

The freelander is excellent at doing this (I'm never tired after driving regardless of distance) but the depreciation and poor mpg will be the end of me I fear.

I'm not getting rid of the freelander as I am quite fond of it and the large load space and 4x4 stuff comes in handy. Plus I'm not sure how long I'll be doing these miles.

Am I right in thinking the following?

1) New car out of question as the depreciation involved with these miles just doesn't make sense.

2) Small and economical will be a horrible place to spend all that time. Add to that I'm 6ft6.

3) Spend minimal money on something big, auto and capable of 50mpg with 100-150k miles on it that is used to the motorway. Add another 50k and part ex for similar replacement or it dies and I'm not too much out of pocket. Repeat as required.

4) Any ideas over a good car for this? I'm 28 so as much as I'd love a bmw 520d I imagine the insurance would be prohibitive as a 2nd car unless I go 3rd party and cross my fingers.

Currently I'm looking down passat/octavia 1.9tdi dsg route. Am I looking in the wrong place? If only I'd hung onto the C Class. Such is life.

Any help much appreciated!

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - daveyK_UK

a 2.0 kia magnetis or hyundai sonata

you should be able to nurse 40mpg out of the petrol auto version.

big, comfortable, mile muncher.

Thanks but I was hoping for something a bit higher than 40mpg. Sorry to be picky.

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - Bobbin Threadbare

What's your budget? I'd be looking for a diesel at that sort of mileage but only if there's a decent budget, in order to avoid the thrashed old diesel issues!

This is where I am torn to be honest. My head says no more than £4-5k due to the miles I'll be putting on and not wanting to lose money on further depreciation.

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - oldtoffee

At that price I'd say a Passat 1.9 tdi 130 bhp, 5 speed manual up to 2005 MY and a bit of change. A bit overpriced because of short supply on good ones with fsh but known to be very good on mpg and potential for starship miles provided they are serviced properly. I used to get 65mpg out of mine at steady 65 to 70 mph and comfy enough on long trips.

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - Bobbin Threadbare

You never know; you could end up with a great diesel. It'll be down to the condition of the car individually in that case. You'll get a decent petrol for that.

More 'out there' suggestion - what about a hybrid? You can get a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid for under £5k, with full leather seats, decent spec, low insurance and tax.

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - SteveLee

"Thanks but I was hoping for something a bit higher than 40mpg. Sorry to be picky."

"I do get my fuel paid so it isn't too much of an issue."

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - Avant

The OP may be doing too many motorway miles for a hybrid to be at its best. Any used diesel ia a bit of a gamble, but as menitoned the VW Group 1.9 TDI has a good reputation. The Passat will be more expensive than an Octavia of similar vibtage, but \i don't think the Octavia ever came with the 130 bhp engine. You can also get a VW Golf with that engine, which should be big enough if you're keeping the Freeloader.

Don't forget Fords: the 2.0 TDCI in the Focus or Mondeo should do you well, and there are lots to choose from at all price levels.

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - Happy Blue!
Also remember that Peugeots and Citroens use the same 2.0TDCi as in Fords (at least from 2008 I think). It s good reliable engine and the Peugeot 407 should be a good mile muncher with a great deal of comfort.
Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - Gibbo_Wirral

I agree, the 407 is a lovely budget distance cruiser. I'd stay stay from the 1.6 model though, the 2L diesel seems to be more reliable.

But, as always, its all down to the care of the previous owner.

Also remember that Peugeots and Citroens use the same 2.0TDCi as in Fords (at least from 2008 I think). It s good reliable engine and the Peugeot 407 should be a good mile muncher with a great deal of comfort.

The other way round - Ford started using PSA diesel engines.

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - HandCart

Did I miss something? - you say you get your fuel paid, so that;s not an issue, but then say you need something that does more than 40 mpg ( ?? )

I get my fuel paid but the more economical the car the more I have left over to cope with servicing/consumables. And if I could have something left over then that would be useful.

Thanks for the help everyone. Plenty to think about and lots of different cars to look into over the coming weeks. Much appreciated!

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - Cyd

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=104525

Mile Muncher Required: Used 2nd Car. - V4 Heaven

I lift share with a guy who owns a 2004 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 130 hp. It never drops below 54 mpg on our motorway commute (70-80 mph).

Get a new shape Citroën C5 HDi from a car supermarket such as Car Giant, you get a FSH three year old car for around £7K with plenty of life left in it - Good looking, very comfy mile muncher and reasonably cheap (but not as cheap as you'd expect) - none of them will have the now optional "funny" suspension as they are all ex-company cars. Don't worry about reliability, the Mk3 C5 is no more liklely to break down than any other mainstream car. Failing that you can't go wrong with a Mondeo - good value - and practically faultless as a motorway hack. Insignia - slightly worse car but slightly better looking - and the cheapest option of the three (yes I was stunned to discover the Insignia depreciates faster than the Mk3 C5 too.) unfortuneately Autos only seem to make up about 1 in 10 Insignias.

If you're worried about long-term longevity I wouldn't tough anything with a VAG DSG box. 2003-2008ish Passats are notoriously unreliable.

If you were looking at cheap, Citroën C4s 2.0 HDis are very good motorway cars - 60+ mpg on a cruise - it'll be a manual though.