Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Auto - 2006 Mercedes C220 CDi Sport help needed.... - RSTurbo50
I purchased this car yesterday from a garage 185 miles away yesterday. Before I did the test drive, I tried to release the parking brake but for some reason the warning light 'Release Parking Brake' kept beeping at me. Just could not release it. A sales member had a look and eventually put it in reverse, then into drive and the light came off...

Drove it back home and it was fine. Came to it this morning and the same problem. I'm trying to release the parking brake, pulling hard on the lever but I cannot get the red warning light to go off. I keep applying the parking brake lever hard with my foot, then pull hard on the release button but no luck.

I'm not impressed, I spoke to the garage this morning who said it sounded like a faulty sensor and to phone back tomorrow. Anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

Stuart
Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Auto - 2006 Mercedes C220 CDi Sport help needed.... - elekie&a/c doctor

Either the handbrake mechanism is partly seized or the return spring on the parking brake pedal mechanism is broken.

Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Auto - 2006 Mercedes C220 CDi Sport help needed.... - 72 dudes

As above.

Best option is to take it back and get them to fix it. This is probably what they will ask you to do as they presumably know you live 185 miles away.

If this is totally impractical, tell them, and say you will get it fixed locally as long as they pay. Of course there's no guarantee that they will actually pay up. Depends what sort of garage you bought it from.

Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Auto - 2006 Mercedes C220 CDi Sport help needed.... - gordonbennet

The sales bod managed to get it to release by putting it in reverse, that means its probably sticking inside the drums (i suspect severe rust on the drum), the parking brake is the top hat design, where standard rear disc brakes are used, and seperate small drum brake provides the parking brake.

Depending how good previous maintenance has been, these drums get very badly corroded inside as the shoes never normally get applied during driving to clean the surface up.

Assuming you've got the brake off now, you could drive somewhere quiet and gently apply the parking brake as you drive along, it might take a few minutes to clean the surface, and it might be too badly corroded anyway.

Its a fairly easy DIY, but maybe for the more advanced DIYer, new rear disc/drums, new pads, new shoes, competent indy, about 2 hours and £80ish in parts.

I say 2 hours because the rear shoes if they need replacing are awkward.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/03/2014 at 19:10

Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Auto - 2006 Mercedes C220 CDi Sport help needed.... - RSTurbo50
Thank for the replies.

I'm going to speak to the garage tomorrow.mi do have a six months warranty through the garage but I'm wondering whether I would be able to make a claim for this?

Iv managed to fully release the parking brake by pulling on the parking brake lever and parking brake pedal at the same time. It's as if the pedal isn't fully releasing and pulling it up releases it fully....

After paying £5650 for the car, I believe I need this fixing as this was not mentioned previous to me...