Setting up a website - CP90

I'm thinking about setting up my own website and I need some advice...does anyone on here have their own website? I want somewhere easy and clear to use as I am not great with designing things from scratch etc., and somewhere where there are ready made templates preferably! Any suggestions/tips are more than welcome. Thank you!

Setting up a website - kerbed enthusiasm

I've created three (a meagre number I know). It's much easier now than it used to be although I preferred to get into the nitty-gritty rather than dealing with user interfaces.

A lot depends upon what you want your site to do. Is it just a presence on the web or will it advertise services or sell products? Does it need a forum, shopping facility, online learning, etc? One of my sites (now sadly defunct) was pretty large and very complicated. I had this professionally designed and created as I just didn't have the technical or graphic skills required. I can strongly recommend the company that did this for me, they were very knowledgeable and professional. If you're intent on doing it yourself look for a hosting company that allows you to install Wordpress and you won't go too far wrong.

I hosted with GoDaddy as they were running a special offer. In due course I'll migrate the site to a UK company.

Setting up a website - CP90

Thanks for replying! Well I am thinking of creating like a travel website and putting up all of my photos onto it and adding descriptions/memories from the travels. It's as much for me as for anyone else to see really. Is there a reason why I'd need to look for a company that allows to install wordpress? (sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm a bit clueless) I've hada quick look on google and found 1and1 that do packages..but I kind of wanted to see if some other suggestions would come up! Is it the case that you started one website and then due to the success carried on with the others?

Wordpress is essentially a template. You choose a theme that establishes layout, colours, fonts, etc. then add your content. It's actually very easy once you've latched onto the style of thinking. There are so many websites based on Wordpress that there's plenty of advice on the internet to help you.

My website builder friend recommends using Names.co.uk (sorry Avant if this breeches advertising rules - I have no connection to the company) and hosts 200 sites with them.

I work in education and built a basic company website a long time ago. I then created a website specifically for teaching assistants which was really a victim of its own success. The third was a commercial venture, built professionally, and my present is back to having a web presence but with the capacity for e-learning.

If you're nervous about building your site I can assure you that it is pretty easy. If you really don't feel competent I can recommend the company that built my site but for what you want, which is a pretty basic request, there'll be gazillions of teeangers who could do this for you!

teenagers, not teeangers!

teeangers: a subset of modern culture dominated by easily irritated golfers.

Setting up a website - Battletoys

Yeah,

I've set-up a couple, once you get passed the awkward part of getting your domain and choosen CMS to speak together then its pretty easy.

If you use something like 123-reg.co.uk their interface and help stuff is really good, plus you can use their admin system just to upload wordpress for you. This takes the pain of having to go into the uber technical FTP zone and upload the files yourself.

Then when you have wordpress, you can add themes - which will be the structure of your site, plugins - Which are add-ons that other developers have made for anything you really need be it a calendar, e-commerce platform or something as simple as falling snow animations.

With those drag and drop sites you end up spending a lot more money than you need to.