Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Car Advice - User_resU

Hello!

I am looking to buy a new car in the not to distance future. But I am no car expert, and have never bought a new car before.

So, to make sure I have some knowledge of what to look out for, and if I'm making the right choices on what I have done so so far, I thought I'd write here.

Please can anyone help and provide their thoughts on the below? Thank you so much!

Background:

I currently have a 1999 Toyota Yaris. It's got just under a 1 litre engine. It's worked really well for me for a good few years now, and hasn't really caused me any issues.

It is getting on a bit now, and I've also recently changed jobs to one that is no longer on my doorstep, but requires 20 miles or so of motorway driving each way per day.

So I think it's time for a new car. I was considering a used one, but there seems to be good deals on new cars at the moment; I've also just managed to get various debts out of the way (credit cards etc), so now have room for finance. I also have enough for a depositi.

I want:

I want a new car that has:

• Good MPG for motorway driving (my current Yaris can do about 45mpg)
  • Has a good 0-30mph speed (I don't want to be speeding everywhere, but my current car can't accelerate, and when the lights turn green, I intend to be already gone.
  • is not overpriced
  • is reliable and has good features
  • Good insurance bands and tax (as is reasonably expected)

Quandry:

I have heard good things about the new Ford Fiestas, and that they are good cars for a variety of reasons.

However, are there other good makes/models out there that could be better alternatives?

• If a Fiesta is the way forward, which model is best?
  • Any features I should look out for as extras?

Finally:

There are a few buying options; is it a good idea to lease, or should I go for options that make the car my own? I must say that it does sound like a good idea to just be able to cancel at the end of it, and/or continue with a newer model, plus have all maintenance sorted.

Have there been any negative experiences of leasing? Is it a good idea, and can you get the benefits of that in a more cost-effective way?

If any of you could share your own thoughts, or have links that will help me, that'd be great. I am after personal opinions as much as anything, so please do share your thoughts as well! I did want to talk to people, and not just look on websites.

Thank you in advance, everyone!

Robin

Edited by Avant on 26/03/2014 at 23:22

Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Card Advice - drd63

Hi Robin, I can't answer most of your questions but for what it's worth I bought a year old, 7000 mile 1.25 Fiesta for my son this year.

Before he got his hands on it I covered approx 1000 miles, local journeys, a couple of 100 mile journeys and one 450 mile trip.

A fantastic car - quiet, comfy, great handling and ride, great connectivity and stereo. Feels well made and solid. Economy 44mpg but was tending to drive quite fast.

I did drive a few other small cars, Corsa, Yaris, Polo but the Fiesta just felt more developed generally and ride/handling were in a different league.

Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Card Advice - User_resU

Thank you for your reply! I was thinking no one was going to...!

Sounds like your driving experience was similar to mine as it is now, and the Fiesta was a far better experience.

I am drawn towards it, and it does sound like a great car!

The MPG does sound similar to my current Yaris though - I was hoping for higher. However, that may mean going for a Diesel...I'm not entiresly sure on the issues of that.

Would you recommend going for something different than a Fiesta though? I'm assuming your car isn't one of those...I could go for a larger car (Focus etc), but unless they are actually better, have no real reason to to do. I do like the look of the new Astras, and the Focus is also meant to be good.

Thank you for your help!

Robin

Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Card Advice - drd63

I'm glad it was of some help.

Bear in mind the Fiesta I was driving is the 1.25, if the 1.0 ecoboost is in range price wise then you should get better MPG. My budget didn't extend that far.

I love Fords, they all seem really well made, reliable, sensibly priced etc etc. I also had a Focus as a holiday hire car and driving the Fiesta I have been questioning the need for having a car as large as the Citroen and seriously considering downsizing when I replace the DS. A Fiesta ST appeals!

I forgot to mention in my original reply I'd also had a drive in a new Kia Rio, the interior is really good and personally I like the look but as with others ride and handling is not as good as the Fiesta.

Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Card Advice - bazza

Well here's my thoughts: Many folk deride and overlook the Fiesta in favour of more exotic stuff like Minis etc. However, it is extraordinarily good to drive, comfortable and reasonably quiet, the 1.25 engine is a gem. Fords have a decent reliability record and are usually easy and cheap to fix. Most independants can service and repair a petrol Fiesta. You'll get mpg in the 40s.

Regarding leasing, whatever works for you- but bear in mind if you lease and change every 2 or 3 years you are actually paying handsomely for your peace of mind overalland warranty etc, as you're always on the steep part of the car's depreciation curve. It just doesn't seem like that with nice fixed monthly payments, but do the sums! Far far cheaper to find a nice nearly new or pre-reg from a supermarket, save thousands off list price and keep for 5 years plus. Heavy depreciation in the first year or two is your friend if you do it this way!

Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Card Advice - gordonbennet

You've got yourself debt free, or thereabouts, why saddle yourself with a massive interest incurring debt for an asset that will depreciate from the moment you sign on the line, double whammy.

You've had good service from your present car, why not run it into the ground for as long as possible, it might last several years yet if you maintain it well.

Whilst enjoying the bangernomics, you can save up for its several year old replacement and buy it outright.

There's something very liberating about not owing anyone a bean, both pleasurable and highly addictive.

Ford Fiesta? - but open to suggestions - New/Used Car Advice - Avant

That makes perfect sense, GB, but I think the OP wants a new car for the greater mileage to and from work. I think I would in that situation.

Unless I've missed it, User, you haven't told us what your budget is. But assuming you can afford it, a Fiesta is a very good choice although I've heard that the 1.0 Ecoboost engine is economical only if you drive it gently.

Possible alternatives would be VW Group cars with the 1.2 TSi 105 bhp engine (the lower-powered 1.2s are sluggish like your current Yaris): a SEAT Ibiza or Skoda Fabia will be cheaper than a VW Polo or Audi A1.

Or why not try a 1.3 Yaris? These are quite expensive but a lot livelier than your 1.0. My elder daughter had four in a row, but now has a Hyundai i10 as it was a lot cheaper than another Yaris. The i10 1.2 is another possibility.

These new small petrol engines are very efficient and unless your total mileage, work and leisure, is over £15,000 a year you don't need to think about a diesel.