Approved car? - frenchman96
Heard mentioned " buy an approved" car, what does it mean, and approved by who?
Approved car? - Avant

It usually means, when you're buying a secondhand car from a dealer in that make, that it has been checked, serviced etc by the dealer and comes with a warranty.

It gives you a certain amount of peace of mind, but it's important to check what the exclusions are in the terms of the warranty. You need to check these to see if the 'approved' status is worth the extra cost over a similar car that you might buy from a car supermarket or an independent used car dealer.

Approved car? - Snakey

In my experience a main dealer 'approved' warranty purports to cover more things but in reality is as much use as a back street dealer warranty.

I've had to fight/argue/threaten to get items that are covered under an approved warranty with Toyota(gave up), Jaguar(won in the end), Vauxhall (50/50 cost in the end) and various other ones. Ironically when I bought a car from a car supermarket place I didn't expect them to cover a stone punctured air conditioning condensor, but they did as I noticed it within a couple of months of buying the car.

My impression is that main dealers don't give a flying fig if you're impressed with their warranty services as theres always another customer that will come along as they have little other choice if you want a new car, whereas a decent independent is hoping for repeat business.