VX Astra - 'T' or 'H' rated tyres ? - Jock
I recently bought an Astra 1.6i 16V GLS (96-N) which will need a couple of new tyres in the near future. I knew the tyres were 175/65/14 when I phoned a tyre-sellers earlier today for a price but the guy asked which speed rating I required, and I didn't know (wife was away with the car at the time so couldn't check).
He quoted me a price for both T & H ratings with approx. £15 difference per tyre for the higher rating.
I've now done a wee bit of research and found out that T is for up to 118mph, and H is for 130mph.
Parker's Guide says that my car's top speed is 118mph.
The car's handbook just says 175/65/14 T or H.
Can I fit T's ?, or do I have to fit H's by law.
( coincidentally, my other car (a Peugeot 406 2.1 TD) is also listed by Parker's as having a top speed of 118mph and I know it's got H rated tyres on it )

Jock
VX Astra - 'T' or 'H' rated tyres ? - Dynamic Dave
By all means check yourself, but according to the Dunlop website, they suggest "T" rating.

www.dunloptyres.co.uk/pressure/index.phtml

To be perfectly honest though, the tyre garage should know the rating anyway. If they don't I would go somewhere where they know what they're on about.
VX Astra - 'T' or 'H' rated tyres ? - Jock
Thanx for that Dave. I was hoping that T's would be OK so I could save a few quid.

The link to the Dunlop site is great - I was looking for something like that before I posted here but couldn't find one.

It's now in my Favourites for future reference,

Cheers,

Jock
VX Astra - 'T' or 'H' rated tyres ? - IanT
Interesting. I've always worked on the principle of replacing with the same speed rating as all the other tyres on the car. The factory fitted tyres on my 306 are speed rated "H", but Dunlop suggest "T". So am I wrong?

By the way, I couldn't get Dynamic Dave's link to work, but this one should: www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres/car/vehicleSearch...l

Ian
VX Astra - 'T' or 'H' rated tyres ? - Dynamic Dave
By the way, I couldn't get Dynamic Dave's link to work,

Hmmm, that's strange, neither can I tonight.