Skoda Octavia vRS - Issue with engine management light - MrToad

I have a persistent issue with an engine management light on Mk1 Skoda vRS. FAult code is generaic P160x one... Car still drives OK. Has been back to dealers 4 times for "repair" at a cost of almost £800 including cooling sensors, water pump. This has still not resolved the issue and its seems I have been paying for replacement of parts rather than a fix.

Any advice? - I have now asked the garage to refund my money spent on these numerous unsuccessful repairs, but am awaiting an answer on this - they have asked to look at the car again, but I have no confidence that the issue will be resolved.

Skoda Octavia vRS - Issue with engine management light - Railroad.
I think this is an ECU supply voltage fault. I'd start by thoroughly checking all fuses as well as the main relay. VW and Audi cars, which includes Skoda and Seat are not unknown to suffer with poor fuse connections. Also do a proper check of the charge rate, and carry out a volt drop test between the alternator and the battery. This test will determine if you have a poor connection here. Voltage should not exceed 0.5v between battery+ and the main alternator terminal when the engine is running and all loads are switched on. If it does then you have a poor connection between the two or the alternator cable resistance is too high.

Edited by Railroad. on 14/03/2014 at 13:01

Skoda Octavia vRS - Issue with engine management light - MrToad

Thanks...despite all the dealer's investigations I suspect you are close to the mark..