Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - naudiz

Hello all,

I've recently bought a 1.6 TDCI Ford Focus (mk2) as I'm doing around 400 miles a week for work. However it is now suffering from the problems that are all over this website, with the turbo dying with me having owned the car for a grand total of 3 weeks!

So my question is, what do I buy instead? I love the mark 2 Focus, it's comfortable and the lumbar support is excellent, however the issues with the engine have put me off another 1.6 TDCI. Do I go back to a petrol engine with the miles I'm going?

Thanks!

Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - skidpan

We had a Focus 1.6 TDCi. Never missed a beat. Yours was probably sold by the previous owner because of the issues which are normally caused by poor maintenance, like any car a Focus needs looking after with the correct oils etc. Ours was serviced correctly every year for the 5 years we owned it and chances our not only us but the person who now owns it (mechanic at the garage we traded it to) has benefited from this.

We now have a Kia Ceed. Actually prefer it to the Focus, its a bit faster (we have the 115 bhp 1.6 CRDi), a bit bigger and more economical.

Very few issues have been reported with these cars but as I said above correct maintenance is essential. Preferably get one with a full Kia service history and providing its done under 100,000 miles it will still have some Kia warranty left. Plenty on sale so only buy one with full documentation.

It would seem that it was sold by the previous owner who knew about the issues, as the turbo in it is quite new (so my garage told me).

Thanks for the advice about the Cee'd, I'll take a look. I should have also mentioned that my budget is going to be around the £4000 mark, and it looks like getting a decent Cee'd for that might be a bit of a struggle.

I should mention that my budget, as was for the Focus, is around the £4000 mark.

Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Ronneh

If youre after a Focus most leasing companies seem to be giving them away (is there a fault?) take a look at this?

Added the payments up and it's £3099.69 + VAT for 2 years. Definitely worth a look but it is possible a bit more short term

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't considered this. I'll take a look!

Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - Avant

I don't think that the Ford 2.0 TDCI engine had the same problems. If you like the Focus, go for one of these: better perfiormance and very little penalty in economy.

Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - skidpan

I don't think that the Ford 2.0 TDCI engine had the same problems. If you like the Focus, go for one of these: better perfiormance and very little penalty in economy.

The 2.0 TDCi in the Focus was nowhere near as economical as the 1.6 TDCI. Siad it before, we had a 2005 Focus 1.6 TDCi for 5 years and hd no issues at all. But ours was correctly serviced all its life. Trying to find a £4000 car with a perfect service history is near impossible.

This is why I'm considering going back to a petrol engine.

Unfortunately I won't be able to afford the insurance on a 2 litre, I've only been driving for a year and a half and I'm already getting ripped off on my insurance on the 1.6!

Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - jamie745

How much are you paying for insurance then? Forgive me but I think if you can afford £4,000 to buy a new car then you can afford some insurance?

The 4k comes from savings and whatever I can get for the old Focus. At the moment my insurance is sitting at around 900, but my excess is also 900 apparently due to the amount of miles I do and how long I've been driving.

I've just taken out my insurance on the Focus, having owned it for about a month, so whatever I buy next would be on the same insurance with me having to pay whatever they want to top it up.

Ford Focus - Replacement for Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI - jamie745

You won't get much for a Focus with a broken turbo. If the turbo is it's only problem I'd look into getting it replaced.

Honest advice? If you're doing that many miles then nothing's going to stay that nice for that long. Spend a couple of grand on a petrol one and drive it until it's dead. It'll have less complications and leave you a few spare pounds for all the tyres you're gonna need.