C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - Bigdaveg

My wife has a Nissan Note and I currently have an 03 Ford Fusion, basically I'm looking to part ex my fusion against something newer ideally 09-11 plate, when it comes to cars I'm insanely boring & practical, I'm after a car that's reliable, has low running costs (tax & mpg), and can easily carry five plus luggage, including a push chair. In short I'm after something like the note but slightly bigger.

I had narrowed my choice to; Ford Cmax, VW Golf plus SE, Toyota Verso and possibly the Honda CRV, price wise apart from the CRV all these cars are all pretty similar, I looked at a CMAX yesterday and to say i was disappointed is an understatement, great size, apparently reliable and cheap to run however that rear centre seat defies logic, what were Ford thinking?, I'm sorry Ford but the Cmax is not a five seater. In addition I do like the Touran and Zafira but running costs and reliability aren't good, is the Altea XL worth a look.

Are there any similar cars to the Verso, golf plus, cmax that are also worth a look, and of these 3 which would I be happy with.

The SMax looks cool but would seem to be somewhat unreliable, I previously had a Galaxy which was perfect bar the repair costs; hefty does'nt come close :-(.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - Oli rag

Mitsubishi ASX might be a good choice.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - daveyjp
My completely biased opinion is a Mercedes B class. You will get one of the last of the old models for your money.

3 years, 35,000 trouble free miles in mine and the only negative is the 1.5 petrol is a little underpowered on long motorway trips, but 99% of my trips are round town so I can live with it.

Edited by daveyjp on 09/03/2014 at 19:29

I'm not fab of Merc's I'm afraid, a lot seem to be Auto's and repair/service costs seem a tad pricey, that said of all the Merc's the "B" is the one that I'd look at a second time, ironically it's similar in appearance to the FRV. I'm also a fan of diesels, which i should have mentioned earlier (better mpg and generally lower tax). But if anyone can recommend a good petrol engine, I'm open to dig a little deeper.

I really like the look of the ASX it's a beefy looking car and having owned a Mitsi in the past know they're pretty reliable, I've also looked at the Qashqai, ix35, and Kia Sportage (new shape), the Qashqai has a small boot compared to the others. These are certainly all good cars but too big size wise.

One thing I struggle with is finding out boot size's; for example how many looking at a golf plus will realize the difference between the S and SE, there is a huge difference.

I've also considered the Honda FRV and Civic, reliability is assured with both, however the frv is wide (parking issue), co2 is high and the civic has the biggest boot in it's class but is it any bigger in the cabin than the note ?.

I do have a good look around and tbh if it was reliable would get a Touran / zafira becuase in effect they are mini Galaxy's, however I'm not keem on routine visits to a garage, as both score very badly in the reliability index and even here on honest john (good & bad) both look like cars to be avoided.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - scot22

All I can contribute it that when I was looking at Golf Plus I found out it was based on the Mark 5. This is inferior to the current Golf Mark 6. This is what I read, not personal experience.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - gordonbennet

Kia Ceed estate, or if you want to push the boat out 2013 Carens.

That 7 year warranty means even if you get a 2009/10 it will still have a worthwhile makers warranty running, none of that aftermarket fit only for bog roll warranty caper.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - Avant

Still keep the Toyota Verso on the shortlist. I wouldn't normally recommend buying a secondhand diesel, but the 2.0 Toyota diesel does seem to be reliable and it's more punchy than the petrol engine in a Verso (1.6 or 1.8, I can't remember which).

If you don't need the 7 seats there's lots of room for gubbins with the back two seats folded flat.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - daveyK_UK

The new Suzuki SX4

www.autoexpress.co.uk/suzuki/s-cross/64451/suzuki-...d

Edited by daveyK_UK on 10/03/2014 at 00:06

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - Happy Blue!

If you want five seats and lots of luggage space, you need a seven seater and drop the rear seats. It simply depends on how much luggage space you need when carrying five passengers.

If you really need space for five pasengers and their luggage, then buy a Ford S-Max.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - skidpan

Kia Ceed estate, or if you want to push the boat out 2013 Carens.

That 7 year warranty means even if you get a 2009/10 it will still have a worthwhile makers warranty running, none of that aftermarket fit only for bog roll warranty caper

We had a C-Max, great car, totally reliable for the 5 years we owned it, only part needed was an alternator belt.

Now we have a Kia Ceed SW (estate by another name). Great car, totally reliable. More passenger and luggage space than the C-Max, more economical and has the 7 year warranty as well.

With Kia's it is critical they have been correctly serviced, if not the warranty will not be worth the paper its written on. Kia insist you keep all receipts as well as getting the service book stamped, not a big deal if you look after your cars.

Its like any car without documentation, simply walk away.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - 72 dudes

As others have said, an estate car might be the answer.

If, however you're sold on an MPV style car then the Verso is a good bet. I would also throw the Citroen Picasso into the mix - great interior, comfortable and undeserved of the poor reputation. I'm not talking about the Grand Picasso or the old Xsara Picasso, just the last shape Picasso 5 seater.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - S40 Man

Have you thought about a Mondeo (mk4). I have a 2.0D estate. It's massive. I just checked on auto-trader and they are pretty much half the price of Golf Plus. They are a decent drive, very roomy (even too big on country lanes?). I do 33 mile commute on A/B roads and regularly get ~55mpg

I had a Mondeo, agreed it was a nice big car, and I have driven an estate, sadly though they don't appear to be very reliable, it never broke down but faults and niggles were too frequent, my old man has had similar with his, i went from the mondeo to a mitsi charisma and then onto a civic, i sold my old dear the mitsi, so she had the mitsi and he had a mondeo, it wasn't even close, the mitsi was far more reliable and cheaper to run.

If I went down that route; big family car, I'd look at the Avensis, Mazda 6 & Accord. However an MPV style is preferred.

C Max, Golf Plus or something else - Car choice conumdrum - Bobbin Threadbare

Mazda 5?