No Comment About Smart Roadster - Tom Shaw
Ahem, no offence but i would rather push a supermarket trolly round than be seen in one of those.

They should be illegal.
No Comment About Smart Roadster - SjB {P}
Couldn't agree more, Tom.
Ghastly piece of kit.
No Comment About Smart Roadster - bafta
HJ. My comment is - no comment! Even a hairdresser wouldn't be seen in one of those. How much did they have to bribe you to sit in it?
HJ. I almost forgot. Were you allowed to wear your hat and tinted glasses?
After posting this, I went to the road test and saw the pics. I have now made a New Years Resolution to check my facts before opening my gob.It's rather cool, isn't it?

My previous comments still apply to the original Smart, however.
Tom are you OK? A sportscar made of plastic with a 700cc engine which costs as much as an MX5? No contest! Its a toy. You can't even get a case in it and the front passenger seat doesn't even recline. A car - no, a style icon - maybe.
If you had one what would you do with it? Drive round those tight bends to the beach and back?
Bafta, your talking to a man who started his motoring career in a Reliant Regal Supervan 3.

A permanant imprint has been left in my brain.
Tom, now you're talking icon. At least they had a purpose.... what was it?
No Comment About Smart Roadster - martint123
Looks like one of those radio controlled models. ugh.

Martin
Looks like one of those radio controlled models. ugh.

Only some of those are bigger and faster!
No Comment About Smart Roadster - J Bonington Jagworth
"..you all go straight to The Backroom, skipping the home page"

Of course we do HJ! It's a complement, really...

However, just to please you, I read (and enjoyed) your piece on the Smart. I don't think it will be on my shopping list just yet, but if I had a well-loaded garage and a gravel drive, I might be interested, and £15k probably wouldn't be a big issue. It sounds a hoot to drive, and should appeal to people who took the trouble to import Suzuki Cappucinos. I expect Smart have done their homework, but I don't expect it to appeal to the majority of back-roomers, who are a bit too pragmatic for that sort of thing!
....if I had a well-loaded garage and a gravel drive, I might be interested...
JBJ. Correct me if I'm wrong but what you appear to be saying is that if you had a Porsche, Merc, Ferrari etc. in your garage, sitting in the corner would be a little plastic car! Wouldn't you rather have a Morgan, a Caterham 7, a Harley or some other big boys' toy? With all that automobile muscle power at your disposal wouldn't you be forced to go out in disguise lest your friends see you in a radio controlled car?
No Comment About Smart Roadster - NWS
I can't really work out who would buy it at this kind of money. As Bafta says a Caterham is fun+performance, the soon to come Beetle convertible is fun+hairdresser appeal+practicality. For city nippiness + parkability I'd go for a 200cc BMW C1 at a third of the price and spend the rest on taxi fares.
No Comment About Smart Roadster - J Bonington Jagworth
"..little plastic car.."

Why are people so disparaging about plastic? It doesn't rust, it absorbs impact well (hence its use for crash helmets) and is the material of choice for things like the Lotus Elise and the Chevrolet Corvette. I don't see it as a drawback.
No Comment About Smart Roadster - martint123
Why are people so disparaging about plastic?

New front plastic bumper for my car 500 quid
new metal front wing for same car 90 quid.

Martin
No Comment About Smart Roadster - Dan J
I commented...

"Well done for getting this up so quick HJ.

I read the article with interest but can't help but think that MCC have missed what could've been a superb opportunity with this car.

It's extremely pretty and will be one of the cars that defines the new generation of small sports cars. However they have overpriced it IMHO. Given the choice between this and Ford's well marketed Streetka I'd have no hesitation where I'd send my money. I had expected the Roadster to undercut the Streetka by a grand or two to maintain competetiveness but dearer? It also has the larger engine and increased loadspace on the Ford to compete with. No competition.

Also who in their right mind would want one of these in bottom spec 60bhp format? You'll get the set of people who love to jump on this bandwagon much as they did screaming to get their hands on LHD Beetles but a driver's car this ain't.

I had been really excited about this car and thought it might well appear on my "to investigate" list for when I replace my Vectra next year but after reading your article I very much doubt it.

I see it as a "hairdressers" car and one that will not be taken seriously - if they'd have thought this through more carefully, I think it would've made a much bigger impact than it will do. 14.5k for the RHD roadster? I'll save 6 grand more and look at the RX8 thanks very much!!

Still, am always ready to be proved wrong :)"
No Comment About Smart Roadster - SteveH42
As others have said, it's probably because it's not of much interest to your average Backroomer. It's a definite second car, probably 3rd car for a family, and how many people can afford £13k+ for a car that will only get used now and again? Considering how few SMART cars you see around here anyway (Stockport / Manchester - may be better down south) I can't see this selling many at all.
HJ. I am sorry about this but I really thought that someone would come forward to offer a rational explanation of why we should buy this vehicle at such a price. Now that Swatch are no longer involved isn't this just another case of Mercedes exploiting the British love affair with teutonic motoring and trying to persuade us to pay over the odds for a 'lifestyle statement?' I can see someone buying it as a third/fourth car in the Med but not in sunny Britain; perhaps a few in Bournemouth.
JJG. Sorry about being so disparaging about plastic. I think its great stuff, I've loads of it at home.
No Comment About Smart Roadster - Monaro
I don't think it looks that bad and seems to be a good idea. When the first reports of it coming out came through I though the target price was 10k. If it was priced at 8-10k them would sell millions. At 14k they missed a great opportunity. Maybe imported left hookers maybe cheaper in a year or so.

Paul C
No Comment About Smart Roadster - THe Growler
I thought bubblecars went out with three wheeled bikes but then what do I know......
Growler, be honest. How long would this last in Manila? The first time it argued with a Jeepney it would disintegrate! Many tourists do not realise that traffic lights are optional in your neck of the woods.
No Comment About Smart Roadster - THe Growler
Dead right Bafta. First time yuo parked it outside McDo's to get your daily fix of grease, couple of guys would have lifted it up and it's gone.....
No Comment About Smart Roadster - SteveH42
The price is definitely wrong. After all, how serious a car actually is this? Could you use it day in, day out? I'd guess not, and would think that the sort of use this car would get would be more suited to the Aixam MAC500 - which costs a third of the price!
No Comment About Smart Roadster - perleman
I know this is an old thread so apologies... but surely an Arial Atom would be nippier around town than this?
No Comment About Smart Roadster - rtj70
The Smart Roadster is being re-engineered and will be made in Wales. After the Gilbern another Welsh car?
No Comment About Smart Roadster - Lud
Never mind roadsters, there was a squashed-up little smartette in the traffic in front of me tonight and I started snarling at the very sight of the thing despite my very wise and agreeable wife's soothing, and later reproving, noises.

To my amazement it hardly got in the way at all. If you have a heavy foot you can keep the things out of the way!

Amazing!