Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - SPDave

Have just bought (two weeks ago) an 18 month old ex lease car from a dealer.

Having paid for it and gotten it back home I noticed that it seems to have had dual controls fitted at some point and then removed before it was sold to me.

This fact was not communicated to me by the dealer I found this out myself.

I am assuming that this has invalidate the manufacturer warranty.

Wondering if I should now start the long and arduous process of getting my money back from the slippery dealer or just live with it.

Any thoughts?

Anyone had a similar experience?

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - oldroverboy.

Ask yourself a few questions.

Does the car "drive"ok?

Is it in Good condition for age/mileage?

Was the price right?

I have had many ex-lease cars in the past 20 years and not regretted one of them, all were maindealer serviced at correct interval, ie at a year or less old. Is it "spoiling your pleasure in your new "toy" (not meant unkindly)

Would I buy another?

Yes yes and yes!!!

Enjoy your driving. (nice looking car too!)

just as an afterthought coulor/trim/engine?

Ask yourself a few questions.

Does the car "drive"ok?

Is it in Good condition for age/mileage?

Was the price right?

I have had many ex-lease cars in the past 20 years and not regretted one of them, all were maindealer serviced at correct interval, ie at a year or less old. Is it "spoiling your pleasure in your new "toy" (not meant unkindly)

Would I buy another?

Yes yes and yes!!!

Enjoy your driving. (nice looking car too!)

just as an afterthought coulor/trim/engine?

The car is fine presently. The price was pretty much market price. i.e. I had known the history of this one I could have bought another without paying more.

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - Bromptonaut

Are you conerned about the controls themselves and warranty on clutch/braking sytem. Or is it that 'commercial' use for driving instruction might wholly invalidate the warranty?

Are you conerned about the controls themselves and warranty on clutch/braking sytem. Or is it that 'commercial' use for driving instruction might wholly invalidate the warranty?

The controls have been removed only the evidence of their presence remains. I am just assuming that such a modification will be used by Audi to excuse themselves.

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - Cyd

Well, the people to address that question to would be your local Audi dealer, n'est-ce pas?

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - groaver

Just don't let swhmbo see the evidence. They'll want them reinstalled to allow them to keep a check on your driving!

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - oldroverboy.

Just don't let swhmbo see the evidence. They'll want them reinstalled to allow them to keep a check on your driving!

Definitely not buying one of these. youngrovergirl keeps me in check too much already.

Has licence, but also has driver ......me!

Doesn't do "public transport" too crowded/expensive/uncomfortable...

Did they have a park bench designer for those seats on firstgreatwestern swansea to london, Never again!

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - focussed

Having been an instructor in the past and owned many cars with dual controls,I have never had a manufacturer's dealer refuse warranty when it was presented. What makes you think that an instruction car suffers any more abuse than a normal private car?

The driver is under constant supervision by the instructor and any attempted misuse is jumped on straightaway. The instructor has overriding control of the clutch and brake if needed. Personally I very rarely used to use the duals at all except for demonstration of clutch control and for the odd occasion usually when other drivers were misbehaving.

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - Doc

. What makes you think that an instruction car suffers any more abuse than a normal private car?

Much more use of the brakes and clutch per mile.

Front seat wear greater per mile.

Possible greater wear on gearbox.

Having been an instructor in the past and owned many cars with dual controls,I have never had a manufacturer's dealer refuse warranty when it was presented. What makes you think that an instruction car suffers any more abuse than a normal private car?

The driver is under constant supervision by the instructor and any attempted misuse is jumped on straightaway. The instructor has overriding control of the clutch and brake if needed. Personally I very rarely used to use the duals at all except for demonstration of clutch control and for the odd occasion usually when other drivers were misbehaving.

Thanks, some re-assurance. Appreciate your time to share thoughts.

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - gordonbennet

To me this is a case of hiding relevant facts from a buyer, similar to how most rental cars are registered under company names that would appear, to a reasonable man, to have nothing to do with daily car rental.

I don't suppose there would be any problem getting warranty work carried out, not exactly a long warranty to worry about.

I think the OP should have been told about its previous use, there must be tell tale signs such as cut trim, drilled holes or scratched paint and then he would have bought with prior knowledge or as most of us would have done, gone elsewhere unless a sweetener such as an extra years warranty was chucked on and the clutch included specifically.

When time comes to sell the car, a knowledgeable private buyer may well find the evidence too.

Its OK saying the car has been driven with a professional (and i see the antics of some of these pro's between lessons so don't take that as read) present, its spent a high proportion of its time pottering around towns, involving lots of clutch and gear and repetitive if usually gentle brake use, compared with the typical repmobile @ 80+ on the open road for a good part of its life.

For what its worth, i would only buy an ex driving school car for less than normal price, or if the pot was sweetened with extra warranty cover, makers only (incl clutch and gearbox wear and tear), not aftermarket spare bog roll.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/03/2014 at 09:46

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - skidpan

What makes you think that an instruction car suffers any more abuse than a normal private car?

The driver is under constant supervision by the instructor and any attempted misuse is jumped on straightaway.

Really.

We were all learners once, remember the kangaroo starts, grated gears, tyre smoking emergency stops, clattered kerbs during 3 point turns and reverses, time spent holding the car on the clutch on a hill, over revs during missed gear changes, I could go on.

Most of us slowly improve but there is always another new starter ready to take on the abuse where you left off.

Would I buy an ex school car. No way, there are always plenty of other cars available that may have been abused by an unsympathic owner/user but nothing like the abuse a school car gets.

Audi A3 Sportback - Ex Driving Instructor Car / Dual Controls - jc2

I see(and hear) plenty of non driving instructor cars being abused every day-one of the best cars I ever bought was ex-hire!However the dealer should be honest.