Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - mustangman

I read elswehere in the motoring press, that production will soon be stopped due the insight being well outsold by the Prius.

is this because it was a poor car, or is there some falling out with the hybrid idea ?

I tried a Prius a whie back as a possible replacement to a Golf tsi dsg that I had at the time. i was very dissapointed by poor acceleration unless you floored it, and then all that noisey reving that was required to get up to a decent speed. However pull away from rest was very smooth, which the Golf was not.

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - colinh

"...Honda began this month with 237 days worth of supply of the Insight, according to Automotive News Data Center, almost four times the 60-day inventory that automakers generally consider to be ideal in the U.S. market...." Bloomberg

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - Sofa Spud

Maybe the introduction oif hybrid versions of other models in the Honda range has eaten away at demand for the insight. It's a pity because the Insight is rather better looking than the current European version of the Civic.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 26/02/2014 at 18:02

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - artill

The insight has been around for a while, so its probably reached the end of its normal run for a Japanese car.

I have driven one and it suffered the usual CVT issue of big revs and noise when asking for more power, something that happens a lot on yorkshires hills. But the rest of the car was nice. We never got the 1.5 ltr version the Japanese had the option of which would probably have been better.

When it was launched the CO2 was just over 100g/km that did it no favours although it is below now, but still no where near the Prius.

Honda UK is also to give up on the CR-Z, another nice car let down by being far too slow for its price. As the Accord will die soon, they will be left with the Jazz, Civic, and CR-V. All made in the UK, but none with any great showroom appeal. All rather sad from a Brand which was once so great

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - gordonbennet
As the Accord will die soon, they will be left with the Jazz, Civic, and CR-V. All made in the UK, but none with any great showroom appeal. All rather sad from a Brand which was once so great

The price of fixing what wasn't broke?

Up until the most recent model, Accord was one highly competent and quality and importantly quietly handsome saloon after another, not brash in any way, a sort of reserved impressive air about them if you follow.

Along comes the Mr Steroid model, bulges everywhere, even more than the (avoid eye contact if at all possible) Mazda 6 it presumably influenced by, and goodbye your previous buyers.

Not saying the latest Accord isn't a very good car, but looks only a mother could love, to be honest its as ugly as sin.

Maybe if you have a formula, product or system that works, improve on the bits that you can improve on but basically leave well alone.

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - daveyK_UK

Agree. Hondas UK model choice is pathetic.

How I long for a Honda MPV.

Bring back the stream!

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - Trilogy

Perhaps this model should have been called a Honda Hindsight!

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - Bobbin Threadbare

Perhaps this model should have been called a Honda Hindsight!

Ohh good one Trilogy!

I saw a Honda Stream parked at Wickes in Morecambe the other day. They look like they'd have good visibility and space inside.

I like the CR-Z, but I like any unusual cars. I wonder what that will do to them in the used market?

Honda Insight - Honda Insight stopping production - ear8dmg

I've owned a 2010 Insight for about 2 1/2 years. I've been very pleased with it. It's not put a foot wrong in that time.

Only seen the combined mpg figure on long motorway journeys though - but that's not unusual.

I guess the 1.3IMA is just a bit outdated. It's a bit strange marketing the Insight an 'eco' vehicle when the 1.6 diesel civic gets about 15mpg better - both officially and with RealMPG. It's lost its niche really.

If I were Honda I don't think I'd make another specifically hybrid vehicle. Just offer the whole line up with hybrid models available like Toyota have done with the Auris and Yaris. The new earthdreams hybrid drivetrain in the new Fit / Jazz and Accord looks like it might be just as fuel efficient as the 1.6 diesel - and faster - a big jump.

If they did a next Gen Jazz hybrid and added a hybrid option to the Civic (hatch not another saloon) where would there be room for an Insight?

In terms of Honda's line-up - the Insight made a lot of sense as a low CO2 option in 2010-2011 where there was no Civic diesel. It makes much less sense now.