ANY - Brand New Car Models - Faults - do you wait? - leef

Hi all,

Just wondering what the backroomers views are on Brand new car models and Faults. Example the Brand new Ford Focus comes out later this year, I'd love one... But would you buy on launch, or do you wait maybe 12 months or so until fault reporting on the model is clearer and adjustments made at the assembley line and faults 'ironed' out so to speak? Much like the iphone 5 on launch, paint work chipping away from the box, power button faulty. Apple stop production for a few days after a few months of complaints, increase the QC standards and use slightly different paint, much improved product.... you get my drift :)

Cheers

Lee

ANY - Brand New Car Models - Faults - do you wait? - RT

Depends how completely new the model is - if it's all new I like to wait 5 years - but often the platform and powertrains are simply carried over into a completely new body so a couple is all I wait.

The 2015 focus due out this year isn't a new model really, it's just a facelift of the existing model.

ANY - Brand New Car Models - Faults - do you wait? - Ronneh

Prices are likely to be a bit lower 12 months on as well

ANY - Brand New Car Models - Faults - do you wait? - skidpan

Bought a Seat Leon last June. Totally new model with a totally new engine (just like the new Golf, A3, Octavia) plus its based on the new MQB platform.

In almost 40 years of driving this is the first time I have bought such a recently introduced car. Fingers crossed but zero issues so far.

ANY - Brand New Car Models - Faults - do you wait? - daveyK_UK

the advice from assembly line engineers is to wait 12 months.

Never buy on of the first batch.

ANY - Brand New Car Models - Faults - do you wait? - craig-pd130

To be honest, there are probably as many examples of manufacturers getting cars right-first-time as there are 'lemons.'

The problem is that ancillary components (like DPFs and their sensors, or fuel injectors) are expensive and can have a disproportionate effect on a models' reliability - for example the recent case with Mercedes diesel Bluemotion cars and the dodgy batch of injectors, which caused supply problems.