SEAT Ibiza - key fob not working after aftermarket stereo fit - emilyclaire89

Hi all,

I have an 06 plate seat ibiza and fitted a pioneer aftermarket stereo today. It was an absolute NIGHTMARE to fit and after finally getting it in I can no longer lock or unlock my car with the key fob. Also the stereo stays on after I've turned off the ignition. I used a wiring adaptor from halfords to fit it. Does anybody know what the solution is? I am not technical in anyway shape or form so simple language would be appreciated :)

SEAT Ibiza - key fob not working after aftermarket stereo fit - elekie&a/c doctor

Sounds like the stereo is not correctly wired.Disconnect the new radio wiring to see if this restores the locking function.Fitting aftermarket electrical devices to modern cars can be a bit of an issue as the delicate electronics of the car can get confused.There is no auxilliary position on the key on these,the radio is switched via the electronic can network.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 23/02/2014 at 19:56

SEAT Ibiza - key fob not working after aftermarket stereo fit - Oli rag

I think I'd be tempted to unplug the new harness and see whether the fob works or not.

Just out of interest, what do halfords charge for fitting a stereo these days?

The stereo should I think continue to work if the ignitions turned off to the accessories position( this is generally one click from getting the ignition lights on.)

Thanks for your replies :) I will try disconnecting it tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. If it is incorrectly wired is there an idiots guide on how to correct it or is it a technical job? I just bought the VW group wiring kit and plugged the black boxes together and the brown boxes together. That's about as technical as I get I'm embarrased to admit!

Not to sure how much they charge, I fitted it with my fella on the car park because I think it's about £30 or something! Being skint I decided this was extortion but I'm now thinking it might have actually been a good idea!

Edited by emilyclaire89 on 23/02/2014 at 20:49

SEAT Ibiza - key fob not working after aftermarket stereo fit - galileo

Not to sure how much they charge, I fitted it with my fella on the car park because I think it's about £30 or something! Being skint I decided this was extortion but I'm now thinking it might have actually been a good idea!

I had times when money was tight, in that situation I would have managed without a new stereo in the car, it's down to personal priorities I suppose.

As suggestd above, disconnecting will hopefully return your fob function, if not try a local car electrical agent, may well be cheaper than Halfords and more used to fiitting stereos.

I had times when money was tight, in that situation I would have managed without a new stereo in the car, it's down to personal priorities I suppose.

As suggested above, disconnecting will hopefully return your fob function, if not try a local car electrical agent, may well be cheaper than Halfords and more used to fiitting stereos.

Starting to think it will just be easier to go back to the original and do without which is annoying!

SEAT Ibiza - key fob not working after aftermarket stereo fit - Collos25

I have always found in the long run it is always better to use the speaker lead discard the power lead and introduce a new +12v,switched +12v and neutral this will not upset the can system as long as the supplies are sourced correctly.

For whatever reason my response to this comment didn't post on my earlier reply?? the stereo is one i had in my previous car which has been in my garage for the last year and the bits I needed to fit it were bought for me as a Birthday present. I came here to ask for advice not have my "personal priorities" questioned.

Apologies, it was not obvious you were fitting a unit you already possessed.

I have had problems with car electrics even on older, simpler systems and since ECUs became standard any kind of change can lead to problems. This is why I stick with the system I have rather than trying to upgrade it with possible costly side effects.

I am pretty sure I had some sort of difficulty installing it on my last car but that was a good few years ago so can't quite remember! I wanted to try installing it in this car as it has bluetooth but I'm thinking it may be easier to stick with the original head unit and eventually price up some sort of external bluetooth unit! Flippin modern technology!