Porsche - Clutch life - 777boeingman
Have driven for over 25 years without clutch failure. Current car VW Passat 90,000 miles and previous Toyota Corolla 115,000+

Finally in a position to purchase a sports car. However, I see multiple times in adverts that the "clutch has just been replaced". Most recently today in an advert for a 37,000 mile Porsche Cayman.

So two questions

1) Do sports cars all suffer premature clutch failure.

2) What is your longest clutch life...... Any make.

Edited by 777boeingman on 20/02/2014 at 18:28

Porsche - Clutch life - RT

Many sports cars are driven enthusiastically - which shortens clutch life.

Porsche - Clutch life - 777boeingman

Yes i get that, but for what you are paying i presume these are up-graded clutches that should be designed to cope with the power and being driven "enthusiastically". I would expect them to last longer !

Yes i get that, but for what you are paying i presume these are up-graded clutches that should be designed to cope with the power and being driven "enthusiastically". I would expect them to last longer !

Fitting a heavy-duty clutch would be easy - but that would give a heavy, slow gearchange - not exactly what you want from a sports car.

Porsche - Clutch life - oldroverboy.

Just Factor in the cost of any potential nasty surprises if not new or under warranty... or buy something newer, more mainstream, Toyota gt86/mazda mx5, i am sure forum members can suggest others.

But if you really want it GO and ENJOY!

Porsche - Clutch life - Bromptonaut

On clutch life longest was my X reg HDi/110 Xantia that went to scrappy on 150k and it's original clutch.

Current Berlingo (1.9D/05) is on it's second. The first failed at aroud 115k, now coming up to 140.

Porsche - Clutch life - craig-pd130

They're also rarely driven by people with any mechanical sympathy - which means owners riding the clutch etc. Double whammy!

I don't know what's good/bad for a diesel Vectra - but my son's just had his clutch/DMF done for the first time at 85,000 on a Vectra-C estate 1.9 (150) diesel - but he drives it like an a******e and I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

Porsche - Clutch life - skidpan

Had a Golf GTI which I drove enthusiastically (it was the late 80's - early 90's no cameras) and virtually every weekend during the summer it towed the race car and transporter (1.2 tonnes) to meetings around the country.

The clutch was replaced at the first oil change (10,000 miles) due to being faulty and then at 100,000 it was changed again when the gearbox had to come out to sort the diff oil seal and bearings. I was stunned to see how little wear there was on the clutch considering how the car had been used but while it was apart it was daft not to replace it, parts are cheap.

Porsche - Clutch life - Wackyracer

I would hazard a guess that drivers of these Porsches like playing with the launch control.

Clutches don't last long with launch control.

Porsche - Clutch life - Cyd

I would hazard a guess that drivers of these Porsches like playing with the launch control.

Clutches don't last long with launch control.

Quite.

The launch control system on an M3 can only be used 3 times. Then th e car must be taken to a dealer for the clutch to be checked.

I find it hard to believe that we're being asked to debate the relative clutch life between a sports car (in this case a Porsche) and a rep-mobile !!!

Sports cars like Porsches are high maintenance - if you can;t get your head (or wallet) round this fact don't buy one!!!!!

Porsche - Clutch life - V4 Heaven

I'm on 186,000 miles in my Toyota Carina E, 1.8 petrol. Still the first clutch.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 21/02/2014 at 11:22

Porsche - Clutch life - Andrew-T
What is your longest clutch life...... Any make.

Never had any clutch work done in 50 years driving - but also never owned a Porsche, nor kept a car above 80K on the clock. Best I can recall was a Morris 1100 estate, sold on to a mate at 72K, still on its original 20K later, in the mid-70s.

Porsche - Clutch life - Avant

Touching wood, I've never had a clutch problem on any of the manual cars I've had. Best was 125,000 miles from a Renault Espace and 115,000 from a Renault Safrane.

Porsche - Clutch life - Alby Back
I got to 190,000 on a Mondeo TDCi before I sold it and it was still on its original clutch and flywheel and my pal took his same model to 228,000 without clutch failure. This is supposed to be impossible of course but let me assure you it isn't !

Clutch life depends on the useage pattern - very high mileage cars have often done considerable numbers of long journeys where the clutch is only used a handful of times.

Clutches would last for ever (almost) just cruising at 70mph on the motorway !

Porsche - Clutch life - Alby Back
Oh indeed so. My current car, a 2011 Merc E Class estate, is now up to over 80k miles and is only now showing signs of needing its first replacement set of front brake pads for example. It spends most of its time on motorways or country A roads so the brakes don't get hammered .