Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - Lancelot2

I am aware of the recent awareness of true mpg against the consumption figures advertised but I admit to being swayed by them when changing my 2007 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI Titanium X for a 2013 plate 1.6 tdci 115 ss Econetic. My Titanium X would do a steady 52 mpg on the motorway without even trying to get the best results.

I have had this car for 12days now. It was the main dealer's managers car before me, with 7k miles on it. Today I zero'd the on board fuel calculator 0.5 miles before getting on the motorway for a steady 75 mile journey. I was aware all the time of economy as this was a trial. I returned 54 mpg ! About 2 mpg better. My urban suggested should now be 56.5, extra urban 72.4, combined 65.7mpg

To me there has been a false representation as the salesman was aware of why I was looking to change. Ok, I now pay £20 tax and that is the total saving expected in the year. Upset ? Yes. But can I do anything about it though ?

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - daveyjp
Far better to check the real mpg figures on this website and others before committing to any car.

EU tests are done to EU standards which you will never replicate.
Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - Happy Blue!

Hang on. You are comparing a 1.8litre engine in a smaller and lighter body to a 1.6litre in a larger heavier car that has only done 7,000miles and you are complaining?? The newer car is barely run in.

I think you have to think logically and wait at least another 5,000miles driving the way you drive to make fair comparison.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - 72 dudes

As above really.

Firstly, no, you have no course of redress. There's a case in this month's What Car? magazine where an owner wanted to sue the manufacturer because he wasn't getting anywhere near the 64 MPG the EU combined tests suggested. He was told he has no claim.

Secondly, for the last few years, manufacturers have been doing all kinds of tinkering with engines in an attempt to get CO2 emissions down to the lowest value possible and the MPG figure up to the highest possible in the unrepresentative laboratory consumption tests (no wind resistance, engine warm, ambient temp 20C blah blah). So in real terms engines generally are only fractionally more economical than they were 6 or 7 years ago, despite EU figures which suggest they have improved drastically.

Finally, your new car will not reach optimum efficiency until it's covered at least 10,000 miles. Then you should calculate true consumption based on several brimmed tank to tank readings and not rely on the onboard computer which may be calibrated differently to the one in your older Mondeo.

If you are getting over 50 MPG in the newer car overall you are doing well; it's unlikely to better 55 MPG except on a very long run in the summer months.

You have one of the most economical engines available in your Mondeo (the same engine in a Volvo C30/S40/V50 was supposed to achieve 74 MPG), so just enjoy it. The Mondeo is a big heavy car too.

The EU figures are a comparitive guide only and do not relate to real world figures. If the salesman told you otherwise, it's hard luck I'm afraid. Never trust a car salesman.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - madf

It is WINTER,

20% worse fuel consumption.

Period.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - RichT54

In addition to the above, I noticed the following statements in HJ's Volvo V60 Drive-E D4 2014 Road Test (28/1/14):

something I learned talking to Anders Orfus, Volvo’s engine man, it that the engines are calibrated and EC tested on the best fuels available.

Which explains why so many drivers who contribute to real life mpg are not getting anything like the ECDC figures.

You won’t on cheap supermarket fuel.

I assume other manufacturers are doing this also. However, I have not noticed much of an improvement in fuel economy myself when using Shell V-power diesel.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - Ian_SW

If the salesman made any direct statements on the relative fuel economies of the two cars and the savings you make, you may have a case at least to return the car to them as not as advertised.

However the salesman would need to have said something as specific as "You're getting 52mpg in your current car, and this one will do 65mpg. This will save you £400 in fuel every year" However, I suspect he just said something along the lines of "the fuel economy of the new mondeo is better than the old one", which is true, albeit a bit misleading.

Having driven a lot of different hire cars on exactly the same 500 mile round trip motorway journey, it has been interesting to see which ones use more fuel than others. It is a lot less logical than you'd expect, it is consistent when driving two identical models, but not two different cars with the same engine. For example, I averaged about 64 mpg in a Jetta 2.0 TDI 140, but only 48 mpg in a Leon in similar conditions with what is apparently exactly the same engine.

The biggest surprise of all though is my current record of a most efficient car. A Peugeot 207 1.4 diesel was top for a couple of years at 65 mpg which was fairly predictable, but I recently trounced this in a Mercedes B-Class which averaged 68mpg! How such a brick of a car can be so efficient on the motorway I'm not sure, but these were true brim-brim figures not some error on the on-board computer.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - craig-pd130

As others have said, the Mondeo IV is a 1.65 tonne family barge being lugged by a relatively small engine. I had a Mondeo IV 2.0TDCI for three and a half years and 38,000 miles, and it averaged 42.5 mpg at the pump.

So 54mpg is actually pretty good. Stop worrying about it, you will never, ever achieve the figures derived from EU tests because they are not conducted in real-world conditions on the road.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - bazza

Spiritmonitor is giving a mean of approx 52mpg on a sample size of 80 odd for your car. Distribution is tight around 48 to 54 ish, so what you're getting is normal real world. Are you really expecting 65mpg from 1.6 tonnes of car?!!!

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - daveyK_UK

52 sounds good.

You should be pleased

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - unthrottled

You won't see a huge difference between any comparable cars when driving at motorway speeds because your battle is predominantly against air resistance which can't be significantly decreased.

The rising fuel economy numbers occur at low speeds with cold engines where the power required to keep the engine rotating is often greater than the power required to move the car down the road.

Anyone that believes that a step change in the efficiency of piston engines (petrol or diesel) has magically occured is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - gordonbennet
Anyone that believes that a step change in the efficiency of piston engines (petrol or diesel) has magically occured is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I'd agree with that, i had broadly similar, indeed better in some cases, fuel economy from my 80's Cummins engined lorries than i get from the latest models, faster more efficient progress too.

The difference being that lorry aerodynamics haven't improved that much, wheareas cars have got better in this respect but gained massively in weight and size.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - unthrottled

wheareas cars have got better in this respect but gained massively in weight and size.

I'm not sure that the aerodynamics have improved that much. Cars look sleeker than they did in the 90's but the top of the car doesn't contribute much to drag. Multi spoke alloys with wide tyres are an aero nightmare and sculpted mirrors and headlights can't fully compensate.

If you think of the narrow tyres and steel wheels with plastic trims that were standard yesteryear, there's quite a deficit to make up-even if the modern wheels do look a hell of a lot better.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - oldtoffee

I have the estate version of the Mondeo with the same engine. 3 months, 8,000 brisk miles. I can just get 60mpg on the computer at 70 to 75, drops to 45mpg at much higher, no lower. At 65 to 70 it will show mid 60s and at 55 to 60 which I am sometimes obliged to drive at due to traffic I can see 70 mpg. Closest car I have had to my old 2000 Passat 115bhp PD that would give 60 mpg on the motorway without trying. Progress.

Edited by oldtoffee on 16/02/2014 at 20:44

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - Lancelot2

Thanks everyone. All replies noted. Will check at 10k. What do I do now ? Oh all right,I'll try a sort of apology to my wife who was with me when I had a cob on ! Cheers

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - xtrailman

You will see a little more mpg over 10k, but not a lot, on some cars it takes 20k before seeing 1 or 2mpg extra.

Cars are often lighter now to reduce emmsions and higher geared.

But the main difference between the two cars, is I'm assuming the DPF fitted to your new car, but absent on your old car?

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - Bromptonaut

I have what I suspect is same engine but without the eco/stop start refinement (ie 5 speed manual) in a Berlingo. New in September, passed 7k miles yesterday.

Travelled from Dover to Northampton with load of two adults and a cargo of French beer and wine. A2/M2, M25, M1 to Northampton mostly at steady 70 except for 15 miles at 50 through roadworks on NE quadrant of M25.

Average consumption on computer was just over 50mpg.

Overall, including the OH's commute, it manages about 42-44 on the computer. I've not sought to cross check that with brim/brim calcs.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - andyp

I have the same engine in a 308 with a 6 speed gearbox and stop start. 80% of my driving is on dual carriageways and motorways & I am getting 58/59 mpg. Car has only covered 3500 miles so there may still be a small improvement to come as it loosens up and the warmer weather arrives.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - V8 Bob
I've a 1.6 Econetic Mondeo titanium estate averaging 51.8 over last 72,000 miles (saddo recording every tankful) best about 58 worst high 40's can depend a lot on weather -winds etc and also fuel likes Morrisons fuel best! It is a big car but engine copes well but need to be careful to get best fuel economy
Ford Mondeo 1.6 tdci 115 stop start econetic - had car 15days. can I complain about expected mpg - Ethan Edwards

You cannae change the laws of physics! It takes a certain amount of energy to move a cars mass against forces trying to resist that movement. So no huge step change in efficiency is that credible. Curse the E.U!