Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - focussed

I don't live in the UK any more but I still listen to various UK internet radio stations. Even before I escaped from the UK the windscreen crack repair scare advert annoyed me -particularly the irritating twerp driving a windscreen repair van purporting to work for a certain company who guarentee that if you have a chip in the screen, when you turn the heater on to the windscreen it will crack.

Total waste product from back end of male cow IMHO

I've driven countless cars and vans with chips out of the screen in summer and in the depths of frozen winters - never had a screen crack as portrayed or described in this advert or heard of one either.

Should the company in question be referred to the Advertising Standards Authority?

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - oldtoffee

I've had the flippin misfortune to have had high speed stones hit my last 2 new cars, chipped the screens. I left the first one as it was on the passenger side and sure enough it travelled horizontally across to my side at winter time so a new screen. Both times the repair company didn't put any undue pressure on to go for a full repair and when the second chip repair "failed" they gave me a new windscreen FOC no quibble, no insurance claim, no excess!

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - alan1302

I've driven countless cars and vans with chips out of the screen in summer and in the depths of frozen winters - never had a screen crack as portrayed or described in this advert or heard of one either.

So if it's never happened to you then it can't happen?

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - bathtub tom

I do wonder about their claim that "every chip will eventually become a crack".

Not in my experience.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Armitage Shanks {p}

As one can get a chip repaired free, if comprehensively insured,, why not get it fixed instead of taking a chance on it turning into a crack and than having to pay a £?? XS to have the screen replaced?

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - skidpan

Aviva have been charging £10 for a chip repair for several years now, still better than waiting for it to crack and needing a new screen.

As for chips turning into cracks its happened to me 3 times. 2 were in the days before chip repair, you just waited for the inevitable. But once on the way to work I got a chip, rang the glass company immediately who came later in the morning. When they arrived it was no longer a chip, crack right across the screen and replecement needed.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - focussed

Happened to you or heard of it happening to somebody you know then?

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Ben 10

I had a 2005 Ford C-Max a few years ago. Bought new. Coming along the M23 one summers afternoon a large stone flicked from the vehicle in front and left a small chip in the screen. I left it. Within a day the crack spread across the width of the screen and I had to have a new one fitted. Cost me my insurance excess. Wish I'd got the chip repaired ASAP. So focussed, it does happen, and not just in the winter.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - alan1302

Happened to you or heard of it happening to somebody you know then?

Not had it happend to me as any chip I've had I've had sorted out.

And there are posters on here who have had a chip turn into a crack.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Hamsafar

I don't rate these repairs, so wait for them to crack and they usually do, especially in sub-zero temps..

Edited by Hamsafar on 13/02/2014 at 13:26

I don't rate these repairs, so wait for them to crack and they usually do, especially in sub-zero temps..

So you would rather pay your £60 or so excess for a new screen than try a £10 (or even free) repair.

Sure I read in the small print that if the repair fails within a certain amount of time they deduct the repair excess from the replacement excess.

You have nothing to loose.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - RT

I've never had a chip turn into a crack - I've had a couple of chips repaired which never turned into cracks - I've had a couple of screens crack, one from a stone, the other from the cold.

But that's just one driver. statistically low repeatability.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Bromptonaut

A chip on our older Berlingo turned into a crack after a heavy frost. OTOH I drove a BX for several years with a chip from flying gravel in spray and spread resurfacing.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Ben 10

My wifes Fiesta had a small crack on the screen when I bought it 3.5 years ago. I had the crack repaired immediately and it never "went" during all the time we had it. Winters and Summers. Part exd with DM last month. Screen still intact, so I would recommend seeing to a chip ASAP. You don't lose anything.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - leef

Had a chip on my Mondeos windscreen for 7 years, no issues. Guess it's just look of the draw.

On my Nissan Almera, I got a chip repaired by the well known windscreen company who were parked up in ASDA offering the "Free" repair while you shopped if you gave your insurance details.

Insurance renewal came through, gone up by about £47. Rang them and asked them if it had anything to do with Chip repair, chap said althogh it doesn't affect my No Claims bonus, it's logged on the system as a "claim" either way, hence the smallish increase. so not really "free" after all.... not sure if all insurance companies work this way?

Lee

Edited by leef on 14/02/2014 at 13:14

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Armitage Shanks {p}

Shop around on renewal then. It wasn't a claim so it can't affect your quote.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - leef

I did. Saved a few notes as well.

Just pointing out that its logged and did increase the premium.

Out of interest, Halford will do it £45 no insurance involved and my local garage will do it for £30.

Over the years we have had (unless I have missed one or 2) 7 repairs carried out. Never had an increase to my premium and when I have rung round to check other companies prices they clearly say "have you had any claims in the past 3 or 5 years (depending on the company)" but they always exclude glass claims.

Any - Cracked windscreen adverts on radio and tv. - Hamsafar

So you would rather pay your £60 or so excess for a new screen than try a £10 (or even free) repair.

Yes, I think it was £80 last time. Nothing beats a nice new clear sreen devoid of the thousands of sugar-grain-sized pits you get on those that have seen a few years of service.

Edited by Hamsafar on 15/02/2014 at 17:02