Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - otter valley

Am driving a 2004 1.4 zetec petrol two door hatch back, and am looking to trade in for new ford of similar type or maybe small engine.

Am retired now and car would be used for local trips plus occasional jaunts to the country orvisiting relatives in UK..

My priorities for this car would be eco fuel consumption, good boot space and as small a width as possible so as not to scrape the paint off when I drive it into my single garage. (something I do now with the 1.4 if I am not careful!!).

Am not sure about engine size, could be 1.0 or 1.25 or 1.4 whichever is suitable.

Reason I ask is that I am going round and round the houses on this one.

(As readers will note from my posting about clutch pedal noise on existing car - technical questions side - I think it high time I started looking around!).

Any suggestions please?

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - Avant

We don't know your budget so it's difficult to give advice.

If you need a small, narrow car you could look at the Toyota Aygo (or Peugeot 107 / Citroen C1, but Toyota dealers are generally better), new or secondhand according to budget.

If you can afford a new car, there's the VW Up (or Skoda Citigo / SEAT Mii) which is well thought of by most, although our regular poster Collos knows someone who has had a bad one.

My daughter is very happy with her Hyundai i10, which looks fairly narrow to me. The 1.2 is worth having over the 1.0.

If you want to stick with Ford, there's nothing wrong with another Fiesta, or the Ka is smaller still.

Edited by Avant on 13/02/2014 at 11:13

Thanks very much for you advice on different models. The budget would have been eight to nine thousand for a new or nearly new one in the ford range. I will look at the makes you mention. I would part exchange my existing 2004 model which I would describe as fair to good condition but no more. Mileage some 69,500 miles. No serious knocks but a few blemises on the paint work.

What I was driving at about Ford (no pun intended) was this business about the differences between and Eco type, or a Style type, or some other model description they keep coming up with for the different models. 1 or 1.25 range. .

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - Ronneh

Style etc are trim levels.

I am not 100% but they go Edge, Style, Zetec, Titanium, Titanium X. I am not sure if they make Ghia anymore.

These just adds alloys, interior packs, bluetooth, appearance packs, satnav etc.

The closer to Tit X you are the higher spec it is.

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - SteveLee

Newer generation Fiestas are between 8 and 10 centimetres wider than your car.

Buy a new shape (2012 on) Fiat Panda - narrower than your existing car, much easier to get in and out of (taller) and much more space around the driver - despite being narrower.

Thanks for advice given, will consider points raised.

Regards

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - daveyK_UK

If you want a ford, get a new fiesta for that kind of money.

dont buy the ka, poor mans fiat 500 and ford mechanics dont want to know when they go wrong.

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - Drivethru

I would recommend a new Ford Ka. I've had mine for over two years after having a Nissan Micra (old Shape) and I have been very happy with it. It is a 1.25 engine, £35 tax, low insurance and 50mpg on local journeys. Mine is the basic Studio model, then there's the Edge then Zetec, just depends what extras you want.

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - Avant

Glad you're happy with your Ka, but like DaveyK I think it has Fiat mechanicals (1.2 rather than the Ford 1.25).

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - daveyK_UK

Taking a Fiat Doblo in for a service recently, the dealer had 2 latest shape Ford ka's in the service bay.

They had been directed there by the ford main dealers who did not know how to solve an issue.

With the cars being out of warranty, Ford had no requirement to do anything to them but recommended to the owners to take their cars to the Fiat dealers.

I had a similiar experience with my Ford Galaxy, Ford couldnt fix the ABS fault and told me to take it to Seat.

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - jc2

The current Ford KA is a Fiat 500 with a Ford badge-the first(original)Galaxy was a VW Sharan with a Ford engine(2.0/2.3 DOHC);diesel and 4WD were 100% VW even with Ford badge.

Ford Fiesta or Zetec - Buying new small ford car. - SteveLee

The current Ford KA is a Fiat 500 with a Ford badge

Except Ford (being the great chassis engineers they are) produced a vastly better rear suspention setup for the Ka which Fiat later copied for the snap-oversteer-happy 500.