car insurance + young persons - top
Wonder if anyone on this site has advice or knowledge of the following
I have an 18 yr old daughter who is learning to drive.
would like to purchase a new car, one with a low insurance group such as vw polo or toyota yaris. Not sure whether to insure the car in my name, then include my daughter as a named driver, I have full no claims bonus on my own vehicle which I will be keeping.
or to insure the new car in my daughters name only.
I assumed that if I did the former it would be cheaper,
however I have been told that insuers have cottoned on to the fact that parents insure cars on behalf of their offspring, and that the cost we be similar whichever way I do it.
any comments or if anyone knows of a decent insurer for young persons would be much appriciated
car insurance + young persons - doug_523i
I'm sure one of the majors was doing a years free insurance on new cars, from as young as 18 as well, was it the Yaris? I think I saw a Corsa offer but it was from 21 years old. My nephew shares a car with his mum, and they are both down as drivers, but with a maximum 6,000 a year mileage.
car insurance + young persons - Andrew-T
We did this for a while with our daughters while they learnt to drive and didn't actually own the cars. As soon as they do, the strategy makes less sense, because they never get started on the NCD-earning curve. Sooner or later they have to bite that bullet, but I guess 18 is rather too early.
.. and the other point is that you (as owner/driver of car 1) can't use that NCD on a policy for car 2 (at least I've never been able to wangle it).
I've found that with cars. I have two bikes on the one policy, both named and both with separate insurance documents, yet the fee is only for the higher risk vehicle.
car insurance + young persons - John S
You can do it either way, but the premium will depend upon who is the main driver, which is the question the insurance cmpany will ask. If the intention is that your daughter will be the main driver, then you may as well insure it in her name and let her get the bonus.

If you insure it in your name, but declare her as the main driver, it will be almost, if not as expensive, as insuring it in her name.

If she genuinely is not the main driver, then it will be cheaper for you to ensure it, with her as a named driver. Don't be tempted to cheat on this, as it will be very nasty if the insurance company find out.

As has been pointed out this second car will have to earn its own NCD (you can't use yours twice), but ask around for any introductory discount.

I wonder if you're looking at new cars for insurance deals? most only cover drivers of 19 or more, so insurance with the car may not be an option. I'd be more inclined to look for something s/h, when you won't wince so much during the lessons, or if it suffers in any way! We swapped my wife's car for a older, group 2 insurance Corsa when our daughter started to drive. Sold it after a couple of years when she went off to University.

I believe Tesco and Norwich Union Direct have been noted as offering reasonable deals for young drivers.

Regards

John S
car insurance + young persons - owen
My first car was insured (and registered) in my dad's name with me as a main driver, which made it considerably cheaper. Whilst John S is right that this would have been dodgy if the insurance company had cottoned on to the fact that I was in fact the main driver, how on earth could they ever find out? And before you say "wait till you have to claim, then you'll find out" I crashed twice, in two weeks, the second crash writing the car off - both times the insurance paid out without a problem (my old man, however, lost all his NCD, and was less than impressed!).

From these (not so pleasant!) experiences, my advice would be to start your daughter off with a very cheap banger, insured in her own name third party only - if you only spend a few hundred pounds on it, then if it's nicked or she bumps it it won't matter. Then, after a couple of years, she will have enough no claims and driving experience to insure a decent car. I personally reckon this is cheaper in the long run, and will encourage your daughter to drive with a bit more respect (although I do acknowledge that girls generally have a far more responsible attitude to driving than boys at 18!)
car insurance + young persons - slefLX
Whatever you do, be prepared for a hefty insurance premium if your daughter is either main driver or insured in her own right. My first car was a 14yr old basic 957cc fiesta, the car cost £300 and the insurance TPFT cost over £600 and that was after ringing about 40 companies and getting quotes ranging right up to £1800!!! (I'm female and was 21 at the time)
car insurance + young persons - Peter D
Been there, Daughter 18 owned the car 1.3CL Pole Coupe own insurance with Direct line Comp £621 1st year now down to 380 ish with protected 4 years NCD. But put your name as second driver. Search on line for companies but ringing them up can and does get better quotes when they here you suck air through your teeth. My daughter was given 1 years NCD up front thats 30%Regards Peter.
Why does a car need to earn a ncd? Surely it's the driver that earns the ncd, and if you are the only driver then both cars should be insured with the full ncd, with a little extra maybe for the fire and theft liability of the second car.

How would the insurance company know it was really the youngster's car? How many middle-aged women drive cars with 300 watt stereo systems/neon lights/green headlights?
Yes Doug, I know, I know. One driver can't be driving 2 cars at the same time, so why etc.? But try to get that argument past a motor insurance company.
car insurance + young persons - JamesH
You must have seen Ben Chapman's recent accident thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=10...3

He was treated a little harshly by some posts but the general consensus was that it's best for a young person to be the main driver and policyholder if it's his/her car.

Try one of the Admiral group companies i.e. Admiral, Elephant, Bell Direct or Diamond. The last is a women-only insurer.

For both my sister (age 22) and myself (23) I haven't been able to find lower quotes.

James
car insurance + young persons - John S
The question should really be directed to the insurance company! Actually the person holding the insurance earns the NCD, not necessarily the driver. And there's the problem - you own two cars, insured for yourself and others, so both can be on the road at the same time. Hence the insurers want each one to earn an NCD. I'm not defending it, just giving a possible explanation.

I like the suggestion of how the main driver may be judged! Other questions we were asked when we insured our car with our daughter as a named (but not main) driver. Will she use it regularly? How does she get to college (occupation noted as student)? What does your wife (main driver) use the car for and how regularly? Obviously been caught before!

Regards

John S
car insurance + young persons - Ethan Edwards

Even though the OP was written in 2003 this still stands.

So you fibbed to the insurance company. Didn't pay anywhere near the proper premium for the risk. Had expensive claims. And then write online admitting this. Let's be plain here Owen that is what we in the Insurance business term ....fraud. Which is in fact a criminal offence.

Then you write complaining about insurance companies raising prices for everyone. Did it occur to you, that amongst other factors this is a MAJOR reason why EVERYONE is paying higher premiums.

There is no such thing as a victimless crime people. If you get caught committing insurance fraud imagine how great that'll sound next time you ask for a quote from an insurance company. I'm the first to admit insurers are no angels but really.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 11/03/2011 at 15:43

car insurance + young persons - Cambsfarmer
My 17 yr old daughter has just started driving and my broker says get her car in her name asap to build a NCB, as if left untill shes say 21 and wants say a SLK 2.3 it'll cost a fortune with no NCB or record of clean driving.
FWIW he said that TPF&F is not much cheaper than fully comp these days which is what we have found with other stuff we insure (combine harvester and the like!)
Quotes for a Yaris 1.0 group 2 are
A
£1709 then less 25%/40%/50% and 60% as years go by
or
B
£1962 less 30% for balance of year as soon as she passes her "pass +" test, then-40% in yr 2 etc.
Its a lot of dosh but I guess we'er having to pay out for all the dross that don't bother at all and seem to get away with it.
David W.
car insurance + young persons - martint123
If you're contemplating a reliable banger, consider the TPO route.
Niece got quoted Renault 5 1.4 value nill ;)
Nice to build up NCD on an el'cheapo banger TPO - Almost worth buying one and leaving it in the garden for a few years if not driving ;-)

TPO 90
TPFT 160
COMP 360

Martin
car insurance + young persons - Collos25

I hope ther still not looking for insurance 8 years on.

car insurance + young persons - LucyBC
Get a quote from ikube's curfew insurance. Not sure how good it is on price and feedback would be welcome:

www.i-kube.co.uk/
car insurance + young persons - bighaggis

i-kube is good but only works in certain circumstances,its no good if you work nights etc,etc,the other obvious is to complete a Pass Plus course with a registered instructor,for more info www.polepositiondrivertraining.com and view the Pass Plus info and links.

Edited by bighaggis on 11/03/2011 at 14:00