Ford Focus - Heater matrix pipe joint leak - farmer fred

My son has a leak on the pipe joint between the heater matrix and the pipe that comes through the bulkhead from the engine.The engine coolant drips into the driver's foot well.

The seal is made with a rubber O ring and a plastic clip that is locked round the joint.

We removed the old O ring which appeared to have partly disintgrated.

We have managed to fit a new O ring and clip and the leak stopped for afew weeks but has now started leaking (dripping slowly).

Is this a common problem any ideas Please.

Ford Focus - Heater matrix pipe joint leak - elekie&a/c doctor

If this is the later model Focus (2005 on),then yes,this does appear to be a common problem.Where the parts from Ford or elsewhere?I think the solution from Ford is a new matrix and pipe kit.

The O ring and clip were genuine ford , My sons next step was to purchase another O ring and clip and then have a chat with the service manager.

Is fitting a new matrix a big job??

Ford Focus - Heater matrix pipe joint leak - Peter.N.

I had a similar problem on a Citroen and ended up fitting two 'O' rings

when you fit new o-ring,it is important that both mating surfaces are clean.A new matrix is the last resort.It is just possible to slide it out from the heater unit,but you may need to drop the steering column.

We fitted a new O ring and clip after first thoroughly cleaning both surfaces and the joint is now fine.

Many thanks for all your help

Ford Focus - Heater matrix pipe joint leak - saxakimbo

hi my 53 plate mk1 1.8 petrol is blowing just luke warm air and has water on drivers footwell, is this likely same fault? anyone can supply pic of location of pipe and link to part required? ty

Mk1 focus has a different heater system.there is no pipe joint.Is the water clear or does it show signs of antifreeze pink/blue?
Ford Focus - Heater matrix pipe joint leak - Becklf
Hi was wondering if you happen to know the part number for the O ring and clips?