Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCI 2007 - Battery Spec/Size - OnTheEdgeOf

Hi All.

Recently I've not been using my car very much, I last used it on Sunday & all was fine but on Tuesday I went to move it & the battery seemed flat (the wing mirrors also didn't open as usual when I used the key fob to release the locking). I went on the eurocarparts web site & entered my car registration & it displayed the battery's for my car, & I then ordered at Excide premium 075 Battery (242mm x 175mm x 175mm, 60Ah 600Cca). When I got it home & opened my bonnet I noticed the battery I'd just purchased was shorter than the one on my car. The battery on my car is the original one & fits in what I would describe as a oblong type plastic bucket it is also a silver calcium 60Ah, 590Cca & is clamped from above to hold it in the oblong bucket. I contacted eurocarparts & they rechecked their system & said the one that should fit in my battery holder would be a higher spec one. I then replaced the Excide Premium battery with a Bosch S4 100 battery (278mm x 175mm x 175mm 72ah, 680Cca). Hopefully it will fit into my battery holder when I come to fit it??

My questions are:

1. Is there any danger from fitting a higher spec battery? (Original Ford one 60Ah 590Cca, & new one 72Ah, 680Cca)?

2. Why is the original Ford battery so different in size to the replacement ones??

Thanks for your help.

Edited by OnTheEdgeOf on 07/02/2014 at 20:19

Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCI 2007 - Battery Spec/Size - elekie&a/c doctor

Fitting a higher spec battery is no problem,as long as it fits the support carrier/frame.An 075 model is a fairly standard application for most mid size diesel cars.Many car makers specify their own dimensions for production line fitment and are often slightly different to the aftermarket batteries.hth

Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCI 2007 - Battery Spec/Size - OnTheEdgeOf

Ok thanks for your reply.

Just hope it fits into the carrier & the problem was that the battery had died or nearly died now I've purchased one.

Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCI 2007 - Battery Spec/Size - jc2

You got 2. the wrong way round;it's the replacement that's a different size,not the Ford battery.If you went to a Ford dealer,you'd get an exact replacement.Vehicle manufacturers building thousands of cars can have batteries made up to their exact requirements.Aftermarket stockists cannot afford to hold batteries to fit all makes exactly but hold a smaller range that will fit and work.