Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi 05 plate - Programming of new ECU codes - neccessary? - Watchie

I own a Vauxhall Zafira diesel which has done approx 70,000 miles. I have had problems with heavy steering and with the car intermittently losing power on accelerating and the engine management light (spanner symbol) flashing and the traction control warning light coming on then going off again.

My local garage have run the diagnostics and liaised with Vauxhall, and have said it needs a new steering rack and a new fuel pump. Our local garage (who we know and trust) have said the cost of the parts would be around £500 and labour £250, however because it would need re-programming of the new control module (?) and only Vauxhall can do this, we are looking at a bill in excess of £2000 - more than the car is worth.

Money is very tight and we also love this car. We don't want to have to scrap it but can't afford this sort of money. My question is - would the control module need to be re-programmed for the car to work, or could we have the repairs done without this (ie the £750 cost) and just live with the coded faults on the system?

Any advice welcomed.

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi 05 plate - Programming of new ECU codes - neccessary? - elekie&a/c doctor

The steering on these is electro/hydraulic and it will only work correctly if the alternator is charging ok.What tests have been carried out to condemn the steering rack?Tbh they don't often give trouble.The diesel pump is a completely different issue.An exchange pump for one of these is probably nearer £1000 on its own.If think you need a more accurate diagnosis to your problems.Any control unit will need to be programmed on these.If both parts need replacing,then this will definitely make this a write off.hth

Vauxhall Zafira 2.0 DTi 05 plate - Programming of new ECU codes - neccessary? - slkfanboy

Good advice above, but reprograaming the ECU does to cost much just maybe an hours labour tops. I would get the work by your local garagage and the reprogramming done by a dealer.