306DT Starting - hm
My 306 is still not start to well,

I have checked the glowplug/timer etc and they are 100%.

I have changed the fuel and air filter. when I pumped the self primer I noticed tiny bubles leaking from the lid on the filter housing, I have now recified this.

However, on start up it still it still struggles, the starter appears to over starting, the engine is firing but does not run. After about 15 sec's she stumbles to a start with pleantly of WHITE smoke.

I'm going to replace all of the hoses from the steel task line - primer to the filter, filter to inj pump etc. but I fear this will not work.

The performance of the car when running is 100%, goes like hell.

Its on 135K (m reg). Any other thoughts?
306DT Starting - Shigg
Well if there's white smoke there's plenty of fuel there. Are you really sure about the glowplugs, have you had them out to test them, also be aware that if the glowplugs are covered in carbon then the fact that they heat up will make little difference until the carbon's red hot. Has anything changed recently that could account for the bad starting - cambelt change, etc?

Steve.
306DT Starting - IanT
"the engine is firing but does not run. After about 15 sec's she stumbles to a start with pleantly of WHITE smoke"

This is the classic symptom of an air leak in the fuel supply. You have already spotted an air leak with the fuel filter, and a second air leak elsewhere would be too much of a coincidence. You think you have fixed the fuel filter air leak, but bear in mind that the fuel system is sucking air in, not blowing fuel bubbles out. So the absence of fuel bubbles is not conclusive.

I would fit a new fuel filter with a complete new set of gaskets.

Ian
306DT Starting - dieselhead

I have the same problem with my 306 Dturbo (1997) (I could see large air bubbles in the clear fuel line between filter and pump.

I have tried a new fuel filter canister and top £65 + vat!! checked/tightened connections and the bubbles are still their!!
Car goes like stink though just occasionally misfires (with white smoke) on hard acceleration..

hope this helps

steve
306DT Starting - IanT
"the engine is firing but does not run. After about 15 sec's she stumbles to a start with pleantly of WHITE smoke"

In my last reply I was making the big assumption that what "hm" meant by "firing but does not run" was that during those first 15 seconds, the car starts normally, stalls, starts, stalls etc. until it finally manages to keep going without stalling. Air leak.

If, instead, the engine initially turns over without firing, then starts firing on (say) three cylinders, and then picks up the 4th cylinder - glow plugs.

Dieselhead - you could try inserting more pieces of clear fuel line nearer the fuel tank to help trace where the air is getting in. My first choice place to test would be the input side of the fuel filter to prove the filter isn't the culprit. I have a vague memory that someone once found an air leak in or around the squeezy rubber primer.

Ian