Fuse blowing, hazard lights - Brill {P}
Dull I know, but this is an MOT failure.

The fuse to my hazard lights keeps blowing when replaced. The fuse itself is for the hazards only so nothing else is affected when it flips out.

Any advice on what to check would be appreciated.

This week's 60k service, cambelt, front and rear disks costing over £1100 makes me loathe to take it to a garage!

Thanks,
Stu.
Fuse blowing, hazard lights - lauriew
If all flashers work as normal but fault only on hazard then I would go for flasher unit. On most cars this is combination unit that operates both systems.
Can you replace from another car?
Has your car got trailer socket...fault could be in there.
Laurie,

Yes the indicators work fine.

No trailer socket fitted.

Car is an M reg Audi 80 Quattro Estate, would the replacement be a simple 'plug and play' exercise?

Cheers,
Stu

(How to make yourself feel a right numpty on this site, I bet even HF knew the answer to this one!).
Fuse blowing, hazard lights - Dave_TD
This week's 60k service, cambelt, front and rear disks costing over £1100

Yowch!!! 120k service on the Octavia + cambelt + front pads, rear shoes, £485.

If your hazard warning button is a red triangle about 1" high in the centre of the dashboard then it has the flasher relay behind it, it's the same part across pretty much the whole of the VW/Audi group, including vans! Shouldn't be too expensive, and should definitely be "plug & play". (Plug & flash?)
Fuse blowing, hazard lights - Tim Allcott
Or, perhaps more aptly, from a systems engineer friend, plug and PRAY.....
Fuse blowing, hazard lights - lauriew
Brill,
Some electronic flasher units can be £80 plus, which is a lot of money for "trial & error".Are you sure that the fuse which blows is the corrct value?
Sometimes there maybe two or even three fuses: one for the hazard switch, one for the normal indicator switch and another for the supply to the flasher relay,after that there could be a fuse for the actual lamps.
My local vehicle electrical parts supplier operates "sale or return", but they will examine returned component terminals with magnifying glass to see if used....if so, you buy.
So be careful.
Fuse blowing, hazard lights - borasport20
DTD

somebody, someday, should look at pricing comparisons across the VW-audi-skoda-seat range

at the back end of last year my bora was in for a service. they recommended front and rear disks and pads changed, and replace the brake fluid. I did the front disks and pads myself on a saturday morning, and will be doing the rears shortly.

The price the vw dealer quoted me for the disk/pads/fluid replacement was withinh a few quid of your £485 !!!

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
"Some electronic flasher units can be £80 plus, which is a lot of money for "trial & error".Are you sure that the fuse which blows is the corrct value?"

Yep it's 15 amp.

"Sometimes there maybe two or even three fuses: one for the hazard switch, one for the normal indicator switch and another for the supply to the flasher relay."

This fuse is for: 'Flasher Unit, Hazard Lights' (which keeps blowing).

There is also one (which remains ok) for 'Turn Signals Flasher Unit, Cooling Fan, air con, wipers'.

Sorry this is so dull, I'll try to think of something more contentious soon. I'm thinking of modifying my car, not informing my insurers, and putting the insurance in the Pope's name. Anyone see any potential problems?

Fuse blowing, hazard lights - smokie
Nah, all his cars are modified, they won't notice