VW Passat 2005 estate 1.9 TDI - lossof power - angel69

I am experiencing a loss of power when driving. It wont go faster than 30 miles and hour. Theres no smoke and no warning lights coming on. please need some advice

VW Passat 2005 estate 1.9 TDI - lossof power - The-Mechanic

Sounds like it's going into limp mode ? Strange that the EML hasn't come on though. Does the management light come on when you turn the ignition on for the bulb check ( not cranking the engine, just switching on ) ?

In some instances the ECU doesn't log a fault if the parameters of the various sensor readings are not outside the norm, but are enough to cause confusion to the ECU as it's not an expected response for the given conditions the other sensors are reporting.

A favourite cause of limp mode without EML is an over boost condition of the turbo as the variable nozzle mechanism can stick / gum up by carbon deposits. This happened on my Seat Leon 1.9 TDI once and the only way I could read the error memory was with VAG COM software. The best advice would be to get the car into a good VAG independent garage and get any codes read out first and take it from there.

VW Passat 2005 estate 1.9 TDI - lossof power - elekie&a/c doctor

Check operation of the brake lights.A faulty switch (very common fault) can cause the ecu into thinking you are braking,and thus reduce engine power.hth

hi there. i recently took my car in for a service. they replaced a bulb for the brake light. when i fetched the car, the indicator to the right went uncontrollably fast...so i had to take it back...they fixed it. everything was fine...2 days later i had this problem. could it be that they got confused with switches?

I am taking it back there on tuesday and will ask them to take a look

thank you for your input. It was very helpful

thank you for the advice defenitely no mamagement lights coming on.. i have booked my car in for tuesday. will report back when i know what is wrong.

One more question...what do EML and ECU stand for?

thanks

VW Passat 2005 estate 1.9 TDI - lossof power - The-Mechanic

EML - Engine Management Light

ECU - Electronic Control Unit

thank you. I used the car this morning and the exhaust system light came on saying "emmissions Workshop". I have spoken to the garage and they said it should be safe to drive (as I have to drive it to the garage )...any comments?

VW Passat 2005 estate 1.9 TDI - lossof power - dieselnut

If you have a DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) it could be getting blocked. Do you do lots of short journeys?

Check that your oil level is correct.

Taking it for a 20 minute drive keeping above 40MPH should clear it.

Should be fine to drive to the garage.

hello. yes i do a lot of short journeys. thank you for the advice.

I will report back as soon as i know more

VW Passat 2005 estate 1.9 TDI - lossof power - VW & Seat owner

If this is the 105bhp engine, then I had the same problem, Air Mass Meter!!

Very common.