Ford Focus 2006/7 1.8 Flexifuel Estate - central locking, locking and unlocking by itself - Glempa

My central locking is locking and unlocking by itself. I have only noticed this while the engine is running, I don't know if it does this when parked.

The first problem happened after I scraped the ice of the car, with the engine running. When I got back in the car to drive home, the interior light remained on, and dashboard alarm said driver's door was still open. The door was firmly closed, but I re-shut it a few times to no avail. I had to turn off interior light to drive home. When I got home, I could not lock the car (using the remote locking) because the car thought the door was open. I left it in the garage and then checked it a few hours later, and door could now lock. It was -8C that night, but I have used the car in much lower temperatures than this before.

The next morning when driving to work, I heard and could see the central locking locking itself (all doors locked) and then unlock itself again a minute later. The next morning I was locked out of my car momentarily, with the engine running, only for it to open itself again.

Other Symptoms: I can lock and unlock the car with the remote control, but the direction indicators only flash when I unlock it! I am sure they used to flash when I locked it. I cannot lock all doors, when inside the car, by pressing the internal lock above the door latch. This only locks the drivers door – I think this use to lock all doors, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

Ford Focus 2006/7 1.8 Flexifuel Estate - central locking, locking and unlocking by itself - elekie&a/c doctor

Check the connections to the body control/fusebox module in the passenger footwell,below the glove box.It is not unknown for the locking bars to come adrift and cause bad connections on the multi pin plugs..Also check for any moisture ingress.hth

Ford Focus 2006/7 1.8 Flexifuel Estate - central locking, locking and unlocking by itself - Glempa

I am letting a friendly local garage look at it first, but he says these problems are hard to find and I may have to take it to the Ford dealer. This I do not want to do, after I found out how little they did on the services, which caused me big problems later.

Other forums talk about the electrical switch in the door latch being a problem, because the two electrical contacts are so close together. If my local garage can't fix it, I will check this out, and the fuse box, rather than take it to the Ford Dealer.

If anyone else has experience of this, I would like to hear about it.

The problem was fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the fuse box. I do not see how any connectors could have come adrift, as they all have a special clamp to keep them in place, but it is working now. I am wondering if it is a case of re-booting the the sensor circuit, but maybe that's rubbish.

I got good advice and online help from "Ford Expert". It cost me about 27 pounds, but it was worth it
CORRECTION: I got this advice from JustAnswer.co.uk

Ford Focus 2006/7 1.8 Flexifuel Estate - central locking, locking and unlocking by itself - Galaxy

I rather think that disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery may well have had the same effect.

But glad you got it fixed.