Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - mercedes V6 ...continuous camsaft adjustment - ace35

can anybody enlighten me regarding the significance of a fault code reading 0276 which states....incorrect position of the intake camshaft(left)---Intermittent.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - mercedes V6 ...continuous camsaft adjustment - elekie&a/c doctor

Possible worn timing chain?Is this a petrol or diesel?How old is the car?

Possible worn timing chain?Is this a petrol or diesel?How old is the car?

Hi lecky!...it's a petrol of early 2006. I know there are issues ref the balance shaft "sprocket" wear causing mis timing of the cams. I just wondered what was the significance of the words "intermittent" in the STORED category of the memory. It seems to me that the fault could occur again at any time....therefore unpredictable and unreliable.

I asked the Q originally hoping that there may be owners/mechanics who have come across this situation who could advise what action should be taken to deal with the issue.

Thanx for your response.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - mercedes V6 ...continuous camsaft adjustment - Collos25

Changing the chain and all the sprockets cures the problem.That is of course its not just a camshaft position sensor hardly likely but a possibility.

Changing the chain and all the sprockets cures the problem.That is of course its not just a camshaft position sensor hardly likely but a possibility.

Thanks for the post.....the note attached to the fault code tells us not to replace the camshaft sensor or the solenoid....not to performcontrol unit programming, simply to erase fault memory.....And then what....wait until the fault returns...whenever intermittantly it happens to occur....and then what??? I find it strange that there is no advice as to what corrective proceedures should be carried out.....or is this MB saying, we know that a problem exists with this V block balance shaft.....it might just go away if we ignore it!!!

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - mercedes V6 ...continuous camsaft adjustment - elekie&a/c doctor

For sure ,the fault will not go away.So you either get it fixed or live with it.

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - mercedes V6 ...continuous camsaft adjustment - John F

Bicycle chains 'stretch' owing to wear at the numerous hinges, so I suppose car chains do too, especially if the oil is dirty. I think chain stretch was a problem with some Nissan engines. Perhaps it is intermittent because the now slightly awry timing is on the borderline of triggering a fault, so sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't - a bit like the old 'low fuel' light which flickers at first and then remains fully on as the fluctuating surface sinks well below the borderline level.

Does anyone know whether camchains stretch more than modern cambelts for the same amount of wear? I wonder if there has been a comparison in an engineering laboratory?

I suppose you could see whether the fuel consumption has increased significantly? Or check its power output on a rolling road against expected.