Volvo V70 - Which Volvo estate, or something else? - DJ66

Hi and I would appreciate your advice! I am looking at buying a V70, probably one of the last of the Mark 1s, 1999 or 2000. This would be a budget taxi for the growing brood, but I still enjoy driving and have a special love of Volvos, having lived in Sweden. My thoughts are to look for:

Classic 2.4 petrol, 170bhp, automatic, maybe with the 7 seat option, with as much fsh and as low mileage as I can find, then to keep it going ... forever!

Some questions which you may be able to help me with please:
1. When was the Classic available?
2. In which colours?
3. Is there a real difference between the 140 and 170bhp, in performance and maintenance?
4. I have a loathing of Dual Mass Flywheels, assume this is limited to the diesel and manual models?
5. What should I be very careful about? I appreciate that these cars are now 15 years old, but I have seen some with close to 300k miles and afte all they are Swedish! :-)
6. Is there another Mark 1 edition I should look at?
7. Should I forget this and go for an early Mark 2? :-(
If so, which one?

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Volvo V70 - Which Volvo estate, or something else? - craig-pd130

Would an S80 fit the bill? I believe it would be cheaper than the V70 and more likely to have been cossetted.

My sister bought a 51-plate 2.4 petrol 170bhp auto a couple of years back, in superb condition (previous owner was a private car firm so it had been looked after). It's needed nothing but routine maintenance.

It isn't quick or economical, it just wafts around quite serenely.

Volvo V70 - Which Volvo estate, or something else? - corax

Hi and I would appreciate your advice! I am looking at buying a V70, probably one of the last of the Mark 1s, 1999 or 2000. This would be a budget taxi for the growing brood, but I still enjoy driving and have a special love of Volvos, having lived in Sweden. My thoughts are to look for:

Classic 2.4 petrol, 170bhp, automatic, maybe with the 7 seat option, with as much fsh and as low mileage as I can find, then to keep it going ... forever!

Some questions which you may be able to help me with please:
1. When was the Classic available?
2. In which colours?
3. Is there a real difference between the 140 and 170bhp, in performance and maintenance?
4. I have a loathing of Dual Mass Flywheels, assume this is limited to the diesel and manual models?
5. What should I be very careful about? I appreciate that these cars are now 15 years old, but I have seen some with close to 300k miles and afte all they are Swedish! :-)
6. Is there another Mark 1 edition I should look at?
7. Should I forget this and go for an early Mark 2? :-(
If so, which one?

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

From around '99 onwards the Phase 1's came with an ETM (Electronic Throttle Module) that wears out and becomes faulty. It's an expensive fix and I think that the replacement needs coding to the car at a Volvo dealer. Cars up to around '98 had a good old cable.

All the manuals including petrol have dual mass flywheels, but they should last the life of the car on the petrol models.

The auto box on the phase 1's is more durable than the geartronic on the phase 2 V70's.

The early phase 2's suffered from weak electrics - they were better from around 2004 onwards.

Probably the best V70 on a low budget would be a normally aspirated phase 1 up to '98. Either 140 or 170 2.5. The 2.0 140 is supposed to be pretty gutless with auto. But given regular maintenance the engines should last a long time - they are very tough.

They (phase 1's along with the older 850) can also suffer from a leaking heater matrix - this a dashboard out job to fix.

Look at some of the Volvo forums - they should give you all the info you need.

Thanks for your help so far! It is looking like a 2.4 170 auto as the preference.

Can anyone advise how I can tell whether the car has cable ETM, maybe from the VIN or a giveaway under the bonnet?

Also, assume 1999 is before the Classic? If so, what is the top spec for the 2.4 170 with cable ETM?

Thanks again and cheers
Thanks everyone, for all your advice!

So it looks like a late Mark 1 auto 2.4, which will have ETM and a five speed auto box, is that correct?

Does anyone know how I will be able to tell if it is a final edition? Were they badged in some way? Or are all Mark 1s such, but made after when?

Finally, is there somewhere I can get a spec sheet for this model? And the available colours at the time?

As I said I am happy to wait till I fid the best and then keep it ... forever.

Cheers!
Volvo V70 - Which Volvo estate, or something else? - gordonbennet

I'm a great fan of the old 940 series, though these are getting very old now, but the odd one thats not been round the world several times does crop up.

Anyway thats my total input on Volvo, but i do have an alternative suggestion.

Normally i would say to avoid due to rust, but not all of them do rust, and thats the Mercedes W210 E Class from 96ish to 2003.

A well cared for (and obviously carefully checked for rust) E300 turboDiesel estate of that model is a seriously good car, indeed its only really the rust that stops them, as simple an engine as you will find in any modern car.

Certainly the reputation for corrosion affects values badly, so a carefully bought and then carefully anti rusted one of those could provide what you want, but do research where you need to look.

Colour choice appears to make a big difference, my sis often turns up in their green R reg saloon, thats hardly got any rust anywhere and soldiers on despite annoying neglect, silver (nicest colour for that shape) seems to be the rotter.

Volvo V70 - Which Volvo estate, or something else? - Michae_l
I had a W210 E class 320cdi, and the body rust was simply terrible, was a silver finish and these seem to be the worst affected. Apart from this was the most comfortable estate car I have come across and did 40mpg