Ford Fiesta Saloon - Were to find Gearbox oil plug on 2004 fiesta 1.4 - eddie lane
Got to refill my gearbox after engine change.i have looked for the filler plug but
Can not find it took the plastic outer cover off the gear lineage but can not find it can anyone help me please it is a 54 reg 1.4 petrol
Ford Fiesta Saloon - Were to find Gearbox oil plug on 2004 fiesta 1.4 - Collos25

I am not sure they have one is it not a sealed for life box.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Were to find Gearbox oil plug on 2004 fiesta 1.4 - bathtub tom

I am not sure they have one is it not a sealed for life box.

And what are you meant to do if you need to pull a driveshaft out for any reason?

Does it have a speedo cable? I've had to fill a Nissan gearbox through the drive.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Were to find Gearbox oil plug on 2004 fiesta 1.4 - Collos25

I believe at the front of the box they have a plasic inspection cover for inspection purposes and they can be filled through this hatch.

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Were to find Gearbox oil plug on 2004 fiesta 1.4 - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Correct, sir... Jack up the front end and look at where the two gear-change cables disappear behind a clip-on plastic cover on the front of the gear box. Unclip the cover and you'll see a hexagon socket plug (8mm hex wrench required). It's a level plug, so use a flexible spout oil can to squirt 75W/90 gear oil in until it overflows.

If it's never been done before (and the main dealers won't check it when it's serviced, because, heck, they don't want your car to last - they want you to buy a new one every three years!), you may be surprised as to how much you have to squirt in!

Ford Fiesta Saloon - Were to find Gearbox oil plug on 2004 fiesta 1.4 - mfarrow

Yes, you'll need to buy a couple of litres but essentially they've all been the same on Fords since the BC boxes of the 1980s - round plug at front somewhere (these days hidden by control cable mechanism) needing an allen key and fill to level.

Ensure the car is level also if you have a sloping drive or have it on stands.

The term 'sealed for life' is I believe incorrectly derived from the term 'filled for life'. Gearboxes are not sealed - they have breathers on them (at the end cover on these IIRC) but the first fill is designed to last the life of the car.

The "life of the car" being 10 years or just over 100,000 miles of mixed driving, so if you want to have a car last longer, more regular changes at 50k intervals are recommended.