Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - geoff1248

My Jazz has just passed it first MOT. This car has done only 24k miles and has a full Honda service record from new. The MOT cert. came with the following advisory:

1: slight oil misting on shock absorber rear off side.

2: slight oil misting on shock absorber rear near side.

I can only assume that this is as a result of a small hole/crack/ failure in the seals. As the car is still under Honda warrenty I asked if this was covered by the Honda warrenty. I was told no as the shockers hadn't failed and could last many thousand of miles before failure.

As I see it the seals have failed and we are only talking about the degree of failure.

Do you folks think it is worth persuing for a warrenty claim?

The MOT was carried out by the Honda Main Dealer.

Edited by geoff1248 on 07/01/2014 at 14:34

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - skidpan

If it past the MOT the shock absorbers are working fine. If they are working fine how can you possibly expect new ones for free.

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - alan1302

If it past the MOT the shock absorbers are working fine. If they are working fine how can you possibly expect new ones for free.

Because the seals are faulty and leaking oil.

Something can work but still have a fault and pass an MOT.

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - RT

Leaking dampers is an MoT fail - oil mist on dampers isn't a fail because they'll still function as normal, ie damp down suspension movements.

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - alan1302

Leaking dampers is an MoT fail - oil mist on dampers isn't a fail because they'll still function as normal, ie damp down suspension movements.

Would it count as a warranty claim do you think?

Would it count as a warranty claim do you think?

Probably not because they still function normally

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - Simon

I'd say that it is just normal wear (and tear) and you won't get anywhere with a warranty claim as they haven't failed as such.

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - geoff1248
I totally agree that the dampers haven't failed, but the seals have hence the misting. Had it been a door seal or window seal that had failed that would have been replaced under warranty even though it could be seen as a wear and tear item. Why is a damper seal any different?

The seal hasn't failed - no seal is a 100.0000000% seal.

Honda Jazz - Warrenty Claim or not - slkfanboy

The MOT is very poor in the method of testing them. The MOT has no proper method of judging correct function and I am sure if you took to another centre you would get a diiferant result.

further you will not get them fixed under any warranty so trying is a waste of you time and effort.

Replace them if you think they causing your stopping distances to be increased due to un damped body movement or rocking when stopping/cornering, else clean the oil off and enjoy your car.