2003 Vaux Astra Convertible - Car Alarm/Remote Locking - MaurH

I posted a while ago ref a problem I was having with the car alarm. I was given good advice and a suggestion by RJ of where I could purchase the power sounder needed to resolve the problem.

Before I purchase this part for the alarm, I have another little issue which may or may not be associated.

When I unlock or lock the doors of the car using the remote, the indicators...front and rear.. flash on the passenger side as they should, but on the drivers side they only flash now and again. Please could someone tell me if this is associated with the alarm problem... or is it a different one? By the way, they all work perfectly when indicating.

Many thanks.

2003 Vaux Astra Convertible - Car Alarm/Remote Locking - Oli rag

It sounds like it might just be a problem with a relay installed with the alarm circuit.

Do all the indicators flash together if you use the hazard warning switch?

Thanks Oil Rag, I haven't tested that, I just made sure all the lights worked when I indicated. I will try the hazard lights this morning and report back.....stay tuned!! :)

Hi Oil Rag, just checked the hazard warning lights and they all flash together when I operate the switch.

And of course typically today they have all decided to work when I unlock and lock the car with the remote, but that may not be the case if I try later today or tomorrow!

Oli rag, I am so sorry, I appear to have mis-read your name....should have gone to specsavers eh?

I do appreciate your help though.

2003 Vaux Astra Convertible - Car Alarm/Remote Locking - elekie&a/c doctor

The indicator/hazard lights on these are controlled by 2 relays in the cabin fuse box(1 for left and 1 for right.).Usually yellow in colour.The "flashing " is controlled by the multi function timer unit that also regulates other functions including wiper delay.It is possible that one of the relays is playing up ,when battery voltage is slightly lower with engine not running and the lock/unlock function is used.Fairly common issue on these and the parts are cheap.hth

Thank you for your reply, sounds like it's easily fixed, glad to hear the parts are cheap :)

I am guessing this has nothing to do with my previous post, the issue of the alarm intermittently going off when I start the car? You suggested changing the Power Sounder.

Hi guys,

I took on board your suggestions and have had the Alarm Power Sounder replaced. The mechanic also checked all the relays in the fuses but could not find any faults. The hazard lights on the right hand side still do not flash every time when I lock or unlock the car.....and today the alarm went off again when I started the car!! so it was obviously not the power sounder at fault.

So I still have the same problems. The only thing I have noticed is that when I indicate to go right, I can hear the indicator clicking through the radio.

The hazard lights on the left side work perfectly every time I lock and unlock the car and do not click through the radio when I indicate left.

Could all three of these faults be connected? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.