Iveco daily van - Coolant system pressurized?? - mikeandvan

Hi I am concerned about my van, I know this is a car forum but I'm sure it will apply to all diesel engines. My van - '08 plate, 110k, seems to lack a bit of power, expect it to have about 20% more, no coolant leak, temp is fine,no mix of water /oil or anything. Had a gasket sniff test done - came back ok. No waring lights on so this is why I'm worried it might be a head gasket/engine crack problem. Is the next stage to have a compression test? Any advice? I had the expansion tank cap off earlier, and there were tiny bubbles - not many and like I said tiny, should I be concerned?

Thankyou - any advice greatly appreciated.

Iveco daily van - Coolant system pressurized?? - alan1302

Any reason for thinking it should have 20% more power? Seems very precice. Has it been like it since you bought it it or has it just started having less power?

Hi alan, I owned the van for almost 2 months, it has been like this since I owned it. I had an older version of the van that seemed slightly more powerful. The reason for the 20% is a rough guess, could be 10%, but would that be noticeable? The thing I don't like is that when you change gear it seems to drop about 1000 - 1500 revs, before it comes back up to power, my old van had more consistent power.

Iveco daily van - Coolant system pressurized?? - Peter.N.

If the head gasket is leaking it will normally blow water out of the filler cap/overflow pipe. What engine does your van use?

Iveco daily van - Coolant system pressurized?? - Collos25

If its a 2.5 diesel these are prone to head problems,a hire van with over 100k of hard miles and umpteen drivers is hardly likely to be a very good investment.

it's a 2.3, I think you're right about a hire vehicle being a bad investment, just wished I realised sooner.

hi collos< are you sure these Iveco dailys are prone to head problems?? Thats the opposite of what I've heard.

Iveco daily van - Coolant system pressurized?? - Collos25

2.5 engines have head problems after high mileages,if it does not loose or use any water or oil you need to be looking in a different place like a choked up EGR valve especially as you say its down on power .

hi aGAIN Collas how do you check for a fauly egr valve??

Thanks Collas, I will attempt to locate the EGR valve and give it a wash.

Iveco are replacing the egr valve today as they did a engine/balance test and the air intake quantity was down, so fingers crossed.

Iv5eco daily van - Coolant system pressurized?? - milb1

Hi your right about the head problems no visible coolant leaks but they use water done about 5 had to replace the heads ss they were cracked pricey aswell as I believe they are still a dealer only part

hI PETER N, its a 2.L3 120 hp, supposd to be very strong engines, but as collas pointed out 110 hard miles....