UK driving licence - janhuts

Hi,

I am a Dutch businessman, involved in shelf companies and domain names, and commercially it would be much much better if I can use a UK driving licence.

At this moment I use third-party registered office addresses, but I will later rent an UK office myself. I am considering on an even later date to settle officially in the UK.

I have a Dutch driving licence and the Dutch nationality and at this moment live in The Netherlands. My question is (after spending a lot of time researching this matter to no avail) if it in my current position to change my Dutch licence for a British one. It would give me a lot more business opportunities then I have now.

I will be very obliged if somebody can me give more exact information. Thank you very much for your time.

Kind Regards,

JD (Jan) Huts

jdhuts@gmail.com

T. +31 0315 653366

UK driving licence - RT

Why ?

The full adoption of Euro-licences isn't that far away, the whole point of which is so it doesn't matter whether you held a Dutch or UK licence previously.

A fundamental requirement of a British licence is a permanent address in the UK.

UK driving licence - Ed V

I see no reason related to your nationality which would prevent your taking the theory and practical UK driving tests in order to obtain an UK licence.

UK driving licence - Collos25

Providing you have a UK address,

When you move to the UK you can get a UK licence on surrending of your Dutch licence but for the live in me I cannot see why you would want to..

UK driving licence - janhuts

Dear Collos25,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The reason for thinking to move to the UK is: I have to pay a lot of money for getting a registered office address by forming UK shelf companies. Of course, by renting a house or office I have to make costs as well, but I did research it and it is much more suitable to use an own registered office address. Now I have a superb company formation agent, but in first instance I was the victem of some b***** crooks. Naturelly, I informed companieshouse.gov.uk about these people !

Have a good 2014.

Kind Regards,

Jan Huts

Dear Collos25,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The reason for thinking to move to the UK is: I have to pay a lot of money for getting a registered office address by forming UK shelf companies. Of course, by renting a house or office I have to make costs as well, but I did research it and it is much more suitable to use an own registered office address. Now I have a superb company formation agent, but in first instance I was the victem of some b***** crooks. Naturelly, I informed companieshouse.gov.uk about these people !

Have a good 2014.

Kind Regards,

Jan Huts

I agree there are to many crooks in this world even a member of my family is one and I do not fancy his health if he ever shows his face.

I am a Brit living in Germany I had to change my licence as the UK licence is address based where as the German is not it was a very simple process once all the documents were in place but as said by previous posters changing your licence is not needed or required.

UK driving licence - RichT54

If you go to this web page: www.gov.uk/exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence and answer the questions.The first question is:

Are you a resident of Great Britain?

You're normally a resident if you have a permanent address in Great Britain that you’ve lived at for at least 185 days.

If you can answer all the questions successfully, you should eventually get to a page that says:

You can drive in Great Britain on a full, valid driving licence from another EU country until you’re 70, or for 3 years after becoming resident in Great Britain, whichever is longer.

You don’t have to exchange your licence, but follow these steps if you want to.

1. Order form D1 from DVLA .

2. Send the form, the £50 fee and any documents you need to (including your driving licence) to the address on the form.

3. You should get your new licence within 3 weeks.

UK driving licence - jamie745

My understanding is you can drive here on a foreign licence for 12 months, after which you must acquire a UK one. Whether you need to actually sit any tests or whether we hand them out like confetti to motorists from all EU nations with inferior licencing restrictions, I don't know.

I think I can guess though....

That applies to foreign licences not EU licences.

So somebody can pass a test in Latvia & just drive here with no examination ever?

Providing they come from and hold a EU licence then yes.I swoped my UK licence for a German licence in 1990 because the UK is the only EU licence that is address based.

Back when the EU was rich Western Europe, that would've been fine. 72 minutes ago, every Romanian & Bulgarian with a passport was granted automatic entitlement to live here, work here, claim benefits here and use all social provision here.

Into the bargain they're now automatically entitled to a British licence? Makes me wonder why I bothered taking lessons and passing a DSA test when somebody with a Romanian licence can wander in and get it for free.

Happy new year.

Edited by Avant on 01/01/2014 at 11:57

If you care to read the posts above they do not need a British licence.Stop getting wound up the world is a tiny place.

UK driving licence - Avant

There is a presumption that all EU countries require drivers to pass a test.

UK driving licence - galileo

Of the same standard as the UK test?

UK driving licence - RT

Of the same standard as the UK test?

Not that the UK test is a consistent standard - some passed their test before motorways were introduced - indeed anyone who drove for the military in WW2 could get a licence without taking a test and still not done so.

The fact is that any visitor to this country can hire a car here and drive it if they have a licence from their own country, regardless of any standard required to achieve it - if we withdraw that international concession, nothing to do with EU, then Brits would lose the right to drive when abroad !

If you care to read the posts above they do not need a British licence.

Oh so they can drive forever here with their inferior Romanian licence then? They couldn't go to America and do that.

Again, it makes me wonder why I bothered taking lessons & passing a DSA test, when somebody whos passed one of them joke Eastern European tests doesn't need to.

Stop getting wound up the world is a tiny place.

It's actually very big. Britain on the other hand is very small and we're now 16 hours into the Benefits Bonanza for two more EU countries. Hardly sensible.

The fact is that any visitor to this country can hire a car here and drive it if they have a licence from their own country, regardless of any standard required to achieve it

Only for 12 months. If you come here with an Australian licence, you have to acquire a British one after 12 months. If you come here with a Latvian licence, you never have to get a British licence.

nothing to do with EU

I think my above comment shows it's very much something to do with the EU.

then Brits would lose the right to drive when abroad !

Not as temporary guests we wouldn't. If you went to America you'd have to get an American licence after a certain length of time if you planned to stay there but you can drive there on holiday.

Stop making out we have to treat every EU country as though they are Britain or else we'll be in trouble.

Edited by jamie745 on 01/01/2014 at 16:05

UK driving licence - RT
Stop making out we have to treat every EU country as though they are Britain or else we'll be in trouble.

Britain is in the EU - we either accept it's T&C or leave.

Well I don't accept them so I vote leave. Or I would vote leave if any politician gave me the opportunity to, which tells it's own story really. Politicians hate referendums when they know they're going to lose.

Some senior Romanian official a few weeks ago put it better than I ever could when he said the British should accept 'we're all the same country now.' And he's right.

Nobody can tell me such disgraceful nonsense was on the table to the public in 1975.

UK driving licence - galileo

Well I don't accept them so I vote leave. Or I would vote leave if any politician gave me the opportunity to, which tells it's own story really. Politicians hate referendums when they know they're going to lose.

Some senior Romanian official a few weeks ago put it better than I ever could when he said the British should accept 'we're all the same country now.' And he's right.

Nobody can tell me such disgraceful nonsense was on the table to the public in 1975.

My views exactly, we were sold down the river then and have been ever since by politicians of all parties.

Five years ago I didn't give a damn about all of this stuff, because I was one of those who thought 'all very interesting but does it really matter?' It was seen as some sort of academic subject, confined to the Oxford Union but something which didn't really affect ordinary folk.

However, the fact we can't even discuss driving licences without the EU coming up shows there's practically nothing anymore which is not influenced by our membership.

The LibLabCon only talk about schools & hospitals, because practically everything else is decided for them. And even pressure on schools & hospitals can be partly traced back to EU free movement of people.

I really thought this was a motoring forum I believe there is a General discussion section made for this.

Edited by Avant on 02/01/2014 at 20:22

UK driving licence - harryletterman

I don't really see an issue here, you Dutch licences will have their "full power" in UK as well as in any ohter EU country.