Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - Robinw61

Hi,

I am interested in finding out more about DPF issues with modern diesel engines.

I have had 2 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso's (2008 and 2009) and now have Peugeit 5008 (2013) all diesels and all driven around town most of the time with very few long runs. This appears to be exactly what the advice is not to do but I have had no issues at all. In fact I have only just been made aware that diesel cars have been fitted with DPF's.

The reason I've gone for diesels when I only cover 7K mile per annum is because I need a decent sized car for the family and the diesel with lower emmisions keeps the income tax I pay on my company cars manageable.

Owners of other makes seemm to have been plagued with issues but I haven't so I'm wondering if there is something technically different witb Citroen and Peugeot ?

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - skidpan

Citroen / Peugeots with the 1.6 diesel (like your Picasso's) use an additive system (Eolys) that is injected into the tank automatically when you refil the car. The Eolys needs topping up every 35000 miles or so but it helps the DPF regenerate in a design where the DPF is too far form the engine/turbo to do it by mormal methods. Cars with this system have generally been pretty good but it can get expensive with refils and replacement DPF's every 70,000 miles.

No idea what engine your 5008 has or what system it has. Fingers crossed for you that no issues arise.

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - Collos25

Refills about 120k and they cost is around 90ukps for the refil sachet labour cost is variable.Do not be put off by doom mongers,

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - Peter.N.

As a side issue, there are a lot of reports of turbo failure on the 1.6 Hdi generally because the oilways become obstructed, if you change your engine oil at twice the recommended frequency you stand a good chance of avoiding it.

A lot of these failures are due to oil not been changed at all.Both 1.6hdis I had did starship mileage with no problems,

Edited by Collos25 on 24/12/2013 at 08:55

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - skidpan

Refills about 120k and they cost is around 90ukps for the refil sachet labour cost is variable.Do not be put off by doom mongers,

Not a doom monger, just quoting the official service requirements. Many have travelled longer distances between re-fills/replacement but many have fallen foul of a wrecked DPF because teh Eolys had run out.

When they run out of eloy then they go into LHM and they do not damage the DPF as a result.

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - Gibbo_Wirral

There's more to a DPF system that just an additive.

The cooling fan and glow plugs are instrumental to a regeneration. These and their associated components (glow plug relay, cooling fan relays, cooling fan wiring loom, fuel cap sensor) may fail sooner than expected if the car is just doing local runs.

I'm often called upon to diagnose a car that someone's just bought,thinking that topping up the additive tank or throwing on a new DPF will sort the problems they've inherited.

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - Robinw61

Thanks for the good information on this. I really think that if I was buying my own car I would most likely go for a petrol car and avoid potential issues and maybe large bills further down the line. Pleased that I have a company car for now.

Citroen / Peugeot - DPF Issues - Gibbo_Wirral

They're fine if properly maintained.

I've lost count of the number of people who've ignored the "anti pollution fault" on screen because "the car still drives OK", or worse still use a cheap code reader to clear the code and do nothing about it.