BMW 320D - White Smoke Mystery - Woody37

I have had a 320D Auto from new, now done 65K miles.

It had a new Turbo at 48K and last year I had the EGR replaced which transformed the performance.

However, this car still belches out smoke, best described as dirty white, under hard acceleration and that's after a period of local crawl or several hundred miles of faster driving. It makes no odds. Last night I was flashed several times on the M25 by following cars engulfed in smoke. It burns no oil at all.

The private mechanic I use can find no faults. Exasperated I paid a BMW dealer for full diagnostics and they could find nothing wrong either.

I am flummoxed. Would a Remap help? I am thinking the fuelling is wrong, or alternatively would increased turbo pressure help?

All thoughts are welcome as I cannot sell it yet am increasingly reluctant to trust using it.

BMW 320D - White Smoke Mystery - Peter.N.

White smoke usually indicates unburnt fuel, has the consumption increased? The only other thing is water, is the level dropping?

Fuel consumption is not great, averaging around 42 MPG on mixed driving but low 30s local.

Water level is constantly fine.

I concur it is over-fuelling but if it is declared perfect by BMW diagnostics what am I supposed to do next?

BMW 320D - White Smoke Mystery - slkfanboy

Basically they are both wrong just the issue does not cause a fault code.

This could be linked to the failed turbo. White smoke is water or unburnt fuel, but it's often hard to tell exactly what colour the smoke is, so it might be grey? Grey is oil, that could be linked to the turbo oil seals.

If it's white smoke is due incorectly fuel mix then maybe the air meter system is gunked up or faulty. The MAF on BMW's are know to failing and hard to diag. The easy way to test them is by disconnecting wiring which cause the car to use the default map rather than meter the air. If the car runs better and no white then a new MAF is required.

white smoke due to water would required a test see if that head was leaking, but you would expect to loose some water or see gas in the water if this was the case.

I have finally got to the bottom of this mystery after 4 years or more of trying and it was ridiculously simple:

I ran the diesel to near empty and filled up with Shell Vmax.

Now on its 3rd tankful the smoke has 90% gone. Economy is up over 3MPG too.

So there we are, it was down to fuelling/burn after all.
BMW 320D - White Smoke Mystery - Collos25

Your cure for the problem is not really a cure these engines will run on the very basic fuel without any smoke you are just masking the problem and its costing you to do it,more than likely the VVT (vanos) on the vehicle is worn or faulty.

BMW 320D - White Smoke Mystery - slkfanboy

May well be that the Shell Vmax has cleaned the system out a bit . I would get the fuel filter chaned if you have run the tank to empty at some point as that may well be full of cr*p now.

Not a good idea to run into the red if you normally keep it full.

I would explain the slugish performance and maybe if really badly blocked the white smoke too. They are normally changed every 3rd service, well worth a try.