Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - scl1999

Got warning on dash - rear seat belts unlocking. So as it was a month before expiry of 3 year warranty, took it to local dealers, Bury Motors. Diagnosed problem and said new wiring loom for seat needed. Warranty work. However they also found the main crankcase oil seal and rocker cover seals had failed. Lucky I took it in and good of them to find it. New seals, new slave cylinder. They noticed oil had splashed onto timing belt so new timing belt and all aux. belts. Mileage 28000.

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - madf

Got warning on dash - rear seat belts unlocking. So as it was a month before expiry of 3 year warranty, took it to local dealers, Bury Motors. Diagnosed problem and said new wiring loom for seat needed. Warranty work. However they also found the main crankcase oil seal and rocker cover seals had failed. Lucky I took it in and good of them to find it. New seals, new slave cylinder. They noticed oil had splashed onto timing belt so new timing belt and all aux. belts. Mileage 28000.

It's a Renault.What do you expect? reliability?

(I am perfectly serious : it's a company whose record in the last decade has been dire..)

Edit

They probably found the leaks as so many do leak...Probably a new QC failure.

Edited by madf on 04/12/2013 at 16:57

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - daveyK_UK

The latest scenic (despite the facelift) ism mainly old tech unreliable Renault junk.

The new captur and clio are a big step forward

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - xtrailman

Funny that my last car never had a leak or any other engine problem, neither has the new owner who recently phoned me.

Yes it was a renault engine T31 diesel xtrail.

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - Collos25

The latest scenic (despite the facelift) ism mainly old tech unreliable Renault junk.

Is that first hand knowledge or hearsay

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - SteveLee

I’d agree that Renault do suffer from mainly electrical niggles caused by cheap nasty connectors etc – however mechanical reliability is pretty good – compare the frequency of serious VAG engine design issues over the last ten years with Renault who have generally produced mechanically sound designs – as have the PSA group.

The VAG group's reputation should be in tatters given the number of serious design issues recently, waterpump/cambelt failures, oil pump drive failures, the Siemens injector fiasco, V8 cam-lobes slipping, dry-clutch DSP gearboxes and yet the dealers seem to be able to convince the mug punters that these are "one off" incidents and that they have purchased a "quality" brand.

If you want reliability - buy Japanese.

Agree about VAG

I stand by my comments about the Captur and latest Clio, impressed with the quality of both vehicles.

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - Collos25

Agree about VAG

I stand by my comments about the Captur and latest Clio, impressed with the quality of both vehicles.

You have not answered the question as to where your knowledge of these vehicles come from.

Dynamique Tomtom dci 105 (60 plate) - Renault Scenic - dan86

It may have a feel of quality to it but I suspect in a few years time the electrical gremlins will show up as tjey always do in French cars.

From a number of sources, but most noticably from my close friend who is a Nissan service manager (formely a Nissan mechanic) and says both vehicles show a huge improvement from Renault in both fit and finiish and the quality of the parts used (he works on Nissan, Renault and now Dacia at his dealership)

He is only interested in the mechanical side of the car, he couldnt give a hoot how it drives or how it looks.

Of couse, the proof will be in 4 years time to see if significant common problems start to occur out of warranty.

Is Renault still a 4 year warranty?