Toyota Yaris 2009 - Wheel nut compatability - Williamh

I want to swap the original alloy wheels for steel wheels for winter tyres. The wheel supplier has told me that I can use the nuts for the alloy wheels on the steel wheels as long as they are OEM (they are). I have had conflicting advice (from a tyre supplier) telling that I should buy a new set of wheel nuts for the steel wheels. I went though this a year ago on an earlier Yaris when I did buy a new set of wheel nuts from a main dealer. I recall that they were very expensive! If I need to buy a new set, then I would prefer to buy on-line (much cheaper!). If I do buy on-line, is here anything about the specification that I should be aware of? Thanks.

Toyota Yaris 2009 - Wheel nut compatability - skidpan

There are 2 common bolt/nots types, conical and taper seat. They are not interchangeable. Its pretty obvious looking at the bolt/nut which it is and likewise the seat in the wheel is pretty obvious as well.

There is no rule as to which type manufacturers use although from personal experince most european brands use conical seats whereas far eastern brands use taper seats. Most aftermarket alloys use taper seats and require a set of new bolts/nuts which are normally supplied.

Toyota Yaris 2009 - Wheel nut compatability - Williamh

Hi, thanks for you very prompt reply. I am still awaiting the delivery of the steel wheels. I shall examine them with intetest when they arrive!!